Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning I checked the map to see about the back roads from Dothan to Birmingham. I noticed the name Smut Eye next to one of the little dots on the map. Of course I had to see Smut Eye. Not much happening there. No one around to ask about the name. Edit: just got this from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuteye,_Alabama

I have to say this was one of the best riding days I've ever had. Southeast Alabama is beautiful, with rolling hills, good curvy roads,
neat farms, and little crossroad towns.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
You do wonder who thinks of these names.

I used to work on Seaman Road. Of course it's the spelling that implies men who work on boats, but over the phone when you pronounce it, there is always a hesitation by the party on the other end.
Runs right through the middle of . . . . . .

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
After it passes through Intercourse, PA, of course.
Yes, one of my personal favorites. Due to the Seaman Rd thing, I was very careful to choose a house with a normal name for the street:D

There is a Hell somewhere, too. I used to have a photo someone sent me of the sign to town covered in icicles. Yes, Hell really can freeze over!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
However, the license plate on my bike has the letter SUT and every time I look at it, the L appears magically in my mind. I thought of asking for new plates this year but was worried I'd end up with something worse.

I saw a poop brown colored van once and the letters on his were FART. Now in Ohio, they were separated by numbers so it was like FA17RT, but still.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
dwr, I wanna ride with you, man. I always want to get detoured by weird places but have trouble getting my riding buddies to come along. I love the grocery and post office shots. The thing is most people miss these kind of locations and this country is chock full of them!

And there is a Triumph dealer down in FL called "Pure Triumph". That post office building with the little "Pure" sign and your "Triumph" would make a great photo to send to them.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dwr, I wanna ride with you, man. I always want to get detoured by weird places but have trouble getting my riding buddies to come along. I love the grocery and post office shots. The thing is most people miss these kind of locations and this country is chock full of them!

And there is a Triumph dealer down in FL called "Pure Triumph". That post office building with the little "Pure" sign and your "Triumph" would make a great photo to send to them.
Maybe we can put a trip together, that would be cool. But you maybe should ride the RT. If we were riding look alike Bonnevilles folks might think we were....odd.

And I'll see If I can check out "Pure Triumph" and email them the pic.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Oh, when I ride for fun, I just pick a direction and look for roads I've never driven/ridden on and see what's there. Usually not much as this is the boonies, but that's the fun of a motorcycle, isn't it? Sometimes I screw up and end up on a particularly bad road or one that's just been tarred and chipped, but oh well. That's what touch up paint is for.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Well, all I can say is that I don't think the people in Watford, England seem very friendly??

OMG! Whoever named that city in Austria really should have checked the meaning in English! It certainly makes for a humorous sign for the folks of Watford, England though and especially their visitors.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts