Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When warmed up... does it smoke on deceleration ?
Nope, far as I can tell..

That thing about the valves being deep, that's where the plan falls down. I was not sure but that would be a problem. Also the Triumph springs are close wound at the bottom so a compressor would be an issue.

It can wait until Spring, this bike has to get me through the winter before it gets any attention.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Removing Head

Just another point to be aware of. The tunnels I was referring to are those which the shim buckets sit and move in. The spring compressor has to fit within the tunnels without marking or scratching the aluminium sides of the tunnels. A bit tricky, a normal off the shelf compressor for auto. cylinder heads is of no use.
I took the head to an Automotive Machinist, He had all the correct gear to remove the valves, measure the guides, grind and lap, check for warping and assemble.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
......... take to a local engine shop.
Hi Tom,

I don't know if you had anybody in mind? I can recommend Sutton Rebore Services in Linde Road, Sutton. Both myself, and a couple of friends, have used them, and they also do engineering work for our "local" Triumph dealer. http://www.sutton-rebore.co.uk/

HTH?
Geoff

(ps I guess you could consider having the ports three-angle cut?)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Smoking on deceleration is a sign of worn valve stem/guide seals as well as smoking on start-up after sitting for some time.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Tom,

I don't know if you had anybody in mind? I can recommend Sutton Rebore Services in Linde Road, Sutton. Both myself, and a couple of friends, have used them, and they also do engineering work for our "local" Triumph dealer. http://www.sutton-rebore.co.uk/

HTH?
Geoff

(ps I guess you could consider having the ports three-angle cut?)
Hi Geoff,

Yes I was thinking of Sutton Rebore. I had a car head skimmed there a few years back, and they did a nice job, very quick turnaround too.

I don't know- what is the benefit of a three angle cut? I assume we are referring to valve seats?

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Smoking on deceleration is a sign of worn valve stem/guide seals as well as smoking on start-up after sitting for some time.
Yes I think I am in the very early stages of valve seal wear.

Curiously enough, the weather was milder this afternoon and no smoking on startup??

I can only think the wear is borderline and that little bit of thermal expansion from the milder weather makes the difference.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts