Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to fix up the IACV hoses to sort out the bike revving high on idle only to have a black puff of smoke on the first rev and grey/blue smoke on the next, turned the bike straight off as I'd rather seek answers before leaving it running and do some extra damage. I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything, ran out of garage time to do it tonight. I think it's to do with oil leaking somewhere, either piston rings or valves possibly? I'm kind of hoping it may just be the bike not been used to the air to fuel mixture having been ran with damaged/missing IACV hoses for who knows how long, not sure if that would cause this or not (just clutching at straws hoping not to have to spend £££ really haha.)
Anyone have any insight into possible cause of problem/solutions?
Will it hurt the engine to leave it idling for a minute or 2 and see if the smoke stops?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated, thanks.

Markus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Not sure how old the fuel is in the bike, it had fuel in when it came to me 5months ago and I gave it a little top up, not sure if old fuel could cause these symptoms or how old it would have to be to cause it?

So pulling the plugs is proving difficult, all my deep socket sets skip from 19 - 22 & it seems to be a 20 that I need :mad: The spark plug socket I have from an old bike falls into the well but doesn't poke out to get a grip on it with anything, I tried mashing one end flat to fit the end of a tool but the metal was too soft and it just mishaped when I tried turning. So guess I need to buy a tool that will fit, can anyone comfirm that its a 20mm and will a thin walled deep socket work or is there a specific tool I need to be looking at?

Pulling the coils there was alot of dirt inside each chamber, also each was only held in with a single bolt :/ I cleaned the chambers out with degreaser, compressed air, electrical cleaner & compressed air again, didnt want anything to fall threw when I finally pull the plugs. Do I need to do anything special to clean the coils? should I just wipe down the rubber? or just leave them as is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks, thats good to know. I'll start her back up and see how it is when the temps get up then, hopefully it wont be as bad or it'll stop. Need to find some bolts that fit the coils first tho, typically I've got every size but the ones I need 😂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts