Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 650 tiger....has been going really good. The other day I took out the spark plugs....they were fairly black..after approx 800mile since I last looked at. Anyway , I cleand them up and put them back in. Went for a bit of a ride and noticed that there appeared to be smoke coming from out of the air filter case. What the hell could that be??. Have not experienced it before so a bit nervous at present to take it for a long ride. Can any one help me please.

Also , I run the bike on premium unleaded...which is good stuff...so could someone advise what type of spark plug should be in the bike. I live in Dunsborough in
South of Western Australia ....so not really cold about the 20 to 35c temp is the norm. Thanks...Jawa

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
use champion n3c as long as the carb is set properly.the smoke might be oil running down the valve guides onto the hot piston and then just using the carb as a chimney to get out.or,fuel vapourisayion which would also exit through the air filter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grand prix......does this present a major problem?? or is a matter of having the valves adjusted etc...look forward to more info...regards jawa

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
jawa,if the guides are worn,they are easy to replace.if the bike is running ok,best to leave it alone or it becomes a money pit.
i suppose i have spent over £1500 on engine parts alone to get my idea of a perfect engine.yes,of course it runs perfectly with low tickover,never fouls plugs and burns no oil at all.
its taken 8 years to get perfection on this bike.thia t120r is my most costly hobby.i actually do more miles on it than my rocket 111...just cos i like it best

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jawa,

I may be totally off track here, but the smoke around the airbox area could also be the result of an electrical problem, or related issue such as the Zener getting hot and smoking paint around it's mount. Just to be sure, I'd recommend taking the airbox cover off and having a look around to see if you can see anything untoward, like wires with discoloured coating, etc.

Another aid is to wave your hand through any smoke, forcing a little of it towards your nose, and smell it. If it smells like oil or fuel, check out that side of things. If it smells like burnt plastic or paint, then check the elcetrics.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I just replaced the wiring harness on my 77 bonnie and noticed that there is a major grounding point and the zener diode just below the oil fill cap .I bet it's easy to spill oil on those and that could lead to electric problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

and I`d check the ignition first :hihi:
If your timing is too late (kicks easily) your carb setting doesn`t suit nomore and the plugs foul pretty quick.
After checking the ignition you should look after the carb and the airfilter.

BTW: What ignition are you running ?

ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts