Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was that jerk in a car who pulled out in front of a bike.

It was bike night, I knew there was lots of bikes about and was looking for them. Yet, as I approached and entered a roundabout, I was 100% sure there was nobody on or approaching.

I was completely unaware of the bike until I saw him swerving away from my driver's side front wing. Fortunately there was no collision and he stayed on the bike!

I know I was completely in the wrong and I've tried to figure out how I didn't see a bike I was looking for, but if an experienced all year round biker can make such a mistake, what chances does anyone else have?

I always thought SMIDSY was something that happened to car drivers that don't look.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looking but not seeing, easy to do, not so easy to eliminate.

A car driver pulled out in front me earlier this week as she waved at people she knew on the pavement/sidewalk, she looked at me (Sprint, twin headlights on, hi-viz jacket) and pulled out. I was trundling at the time so not too much panic, she then looked in her rearview mirror, saw me and waved at me as well. That was nice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I almost made a left turn into my driveway in front of a cyclist a few days ago. I don't know how it happened, but I didn't see him. Luckily I was able to stop and he continued on his course.

It's such a familiar maneuver that perhaps I wasn't alert as I should have been.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts