Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Sprint ST 955i a few months ago, and was waiting until mid-February, when Atlanta riding season starts up again, to get a newer 2006 or 2007 used Sprint.

Problem is, the two major Triumph dealers in Atlanta, Atlanta Triumph-Ducati, and Triumph of North Georgia, are now out of business.

My experience with the older Sprint was that these are not maintenance- or issue-free bikes. Should I strongly consider my other options, or stick to the 2006-2007 Sprint idea? If I buy new, I could get a Kawasaki Concours 14 for the same price as a Sprint, with a dozen dealers within 20 minutes. I am considering used for the value I could get.

Other bikes I am considering: Kawi ZX-14/ZZR1200; Yamaha FJR1300, FZ1; possible Suzuki Hayabusa or Honda VFR800 if I can steal it. I would have to put aftermarket bags on any of these, but the new GIVI PLX cases look great and I wouldn't have a problem with doing that. I am just concerned about buying a now orphaned bike in Atlanta. I bought my Sprint from Atlanta Triumph, and bought tons of parts from both them and Triumph of North Georgia.

The Sprint is my first choice right now but I need to decide if I can live without local dealer service or support, when all the Japanese makes have dealers all over the place.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
DR,

I pulled up the Locator on the Triumph website. Here's the results:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/DealerResults.aspx?fFacility1=False&fFacility2=False&fFacility3=false&sLatitude=33.6758427086573&sLongitude=-82.1384522233474&sCountry=United States of America&sCountryCode=US&sUserLocation=,&sDataSource=MapPoint.NA

I don't know what kind of history you had with your 955i, but the guys with Triumphs that I know (various models) have few to no problems with their bikes. I take mine to my 'local' dealer (90 miles away) every 12,000 miles for the valve adjustment (I do everything else myself, except the ECM read), and to remember where they are.

As far as picking up another brand, it's like anything else; what's important to you?

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
The closest "trusted" Triumph dealer is over an hour away from me but as I have never need anything major it has never been a problem.

I do the minor services myself and have had no need for any other repairs in the 4 years that I have owned the bike.

It's a personal choice. How close is your next "trusted" local triumph dealer??

Some of the bikes that you have outlined would not suit my style of riding so it is really up to you.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
DR,

I pulled up the Locator on the Triumph website. Here's the results:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/DealerResults.aspx?fFacility1=False&fFacility2=False&fFacility3=false&sLatitude=33.6758427086573&sLongitude=-82.1384522233474&sCountry=United States of America&sCountryCode=US&sUserLocation=,&sDataSource=MapPoint.NA

I don't know what kind of history you had with your 955i, but the guys with Triumphs that I know (various models) have few to no problems with their bikes. I take mine to my 'local' dealer (90 miles away) every 12,000 miles for the valve adjustment (I do everything else myself, except the ECM read), and to remember where they are.

As far as picking up another brand, it's like anything else; what's important to you?
Thanks for the link, I didn't know Triumph had a dealer locator. With the other two dealers gone it looks like the closest is about an hour away--not too bad I guess. There are Honda, Kawi, Suzuki and Yamaha dealers within 15 minutes of me though.

I did have a lot of problems with my Sprint but it was a 2000 with 17k miles on it. It seemed I was at the dealer getting parts for it all the time.

What I want is a sporty bike, with a comfortable, somewhat upright seating position, that looks good, and can handle hard luggage without looking awkward. I consider the Sprint perfect, but very hard to find used. At any given time, I can only find one or two on Ebay, Craigslist or Cycle Trader, and they are never local, so I have to add $500 for shipping off the top.

A Honda VFR800 with factory bags is the only other thing that gets close, but it is woefully underpowered compared to the Sprint. The Concours and FJR1300 are much bigger, heavier, and not nearly as good looking, but I would take one if I could get a bargain. If I got a ZX14, FZ1 or Hayabusa I would have to spend a grand putting bags on it.

I did not know about MOTO400. I will check them out and if they are a real Triumph dealer, and know the bike, I'll stick to looking for a Sprint 1050 come next month.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Check with area riders for good mechanics. Since you're buying used, you wouldn't have to take it to a Triumph dealer. Another brand shop could work on it as well as an independent shop.
My local Ducati dealer has a lot of experience working on Triumphs, and just rebuilt the engine of my co-workers Harley. So ask around and see what support you have locally besides a Triumph dealer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Other bikes I am considering: Kawi ZX-14.

let me know... I have a buddy in Miami with one.. he put 500 miles on it.. and now it sits.. I just litteraly was showing him a pic of my bike when he told me he would want to sell his...

maybe seeing the pics of my Sprint were too much for him...;)

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I did have a lot of problems with my Sprint but it was a 2000 with 17k miles on it. It seemed I was at the dealer getting parts for it all the time.
That seems unusual

What I want is a sporty bike, with a comfortable, somewhat upright seating position, that looks good, and can handle hard luggage without looking awkward.
The VFR is just too 'wooden' (read neutral, no soul, charm or joy) a ride imho

I consider the Sprint perfect, but very hard to find used. At any given time, I can only find one or two on Ebay, Craigslist or Cycle Trader, and they are never local, so I have to add $500 for shipping off the top.
That's seem to support that you were unlucky in your earlier bike purchase, as rarity often suggests many VERY happy users!:D

Best of luck though, with what ever you choose. May be a good excuse to go to lots of dealers for a trial session or three!;)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
DR,

First off, it seems weird to me that two dealers in a metro the size of Atlanta would go out of business but being that's a fact, I'd look at every option.

I think what bike you buy would depend somewhat too, on your main riding habits. I like my Sprint but I'd consider other bikes if I got a good deal on something close to the Sprint (If there is such a thing!)

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
That seems unusual
I thought the same but I am not disputing that DR has had trouble with his bike.

I have been to my dealer once for a case of rubber rot on the rear brake master except for the major services. I don't even go there now for services as I (luckily) have found a decent mechanic that I trust that is located close to me. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The bike stranded me twice, which I considered unacceptable. The second time the engine instantly cut off in fast heavy traffic and locked up the rear wheel, and made me fishtail. An inexperienced rider probably would have lost it in that situation. I had a pretty long thread about it here last year. It turned out to be a broken solder joint in the ignition switch. I got lots of expert help here, which is why I'm putting this question out now. The bike did have lots of other little niggles and stuff. I've had many bikes over 22 years, all Japanese, and the Sprint just had a lower sense of build and design quality. I think the redesign fixed most of that.

It wasn't in mint condition when I bought it, but I thought the Sprint had premature wear compared to my experience with other motorcycles. I had to replace the seat, windshield, clutch cable, peg rubber, grips, pretty much all the exterior rubber, etc. Plus it often had problems starting, even though it checked out fine at the dealer. It was a one owner, local bike.

I still like the bike, and it's a bargain used compared to the other ST bikes. New, I wouldn't say it's a great deal now that it is pretty close to Concours 14 pricing. Plus, the fact that the two main Atlanta dealers have gone out of business is really not a good sign.

I think the Sprint is by far the best looking ST out there, and is close to perfect for me. I'll see what happens next month with the used market. The only reason I hesitate with the Sprint is the orphan factor. My brother has an Aprilia Caponord, and he has a hard time getting good service and parts for that thing.

I went to pick up a Cycle Trader this morning and it was only a few pages thick, so I didn't bother.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, the C14 is a MUCH larger bike than the Sprint. And it's over $2,000 more than the Sprint, so I'm not sure how you think it's close in price?
Kawaski dealers are discounting C14s about $2,000 or more, and Triumph dealers aren't discounting Sprints at all, so they are exactly the same price out the door. At least this is the case with the dealers I spoke with, and looking online.

I know the C14 is a bigger bike, but it's much more powerful than a Sprint, and one of only a handful of STs to choose from. It would be more comfortable on a daily commute, at the expense of ugliness and slightly worse mileage, while the Sprint would handle better on weekends. I could call it a wash on those.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Kawaski dealers are discounting C14s about $2,000 or more, and Triumph dealers aren't discounting Sprints at all, so they are exactly the same price out the door. At least this is the case with the dealers I spoke with, and looking online.
That makes sense then. I got my Sprint for under MSRP, so it's a good $2k difference between the two, but dealers weren't discounting C14's when I was looking in May.
If you're just looking for pure power and highway comfort, then yeah, the C14 is the way to go! I like that the Sprint isn't a huge beast and is still a powerful bike and different than "another Kawi".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Atlanta Dealer

The new Triumph dealer in the Atlants area is Moto400 in Dawsonville, right on GA 400. Triumph of North Georgia actually sold the business to them. They have been active as a Triumph dealer for about a month. Just had a tire mounted and purchased some parts there..

I sold my Sprint ST 955i a few months ago, and was waiting until mid-February, when Atlanta riding season starts up again, to get a newer 2006 or 2007 used Sprint.

Problem is, the two major Triumph dealers in Atlanta, Atlanta Triumph-Ducati, and Triumph of North Georgia, are now out of business.

My experience with the older Sprint was that these are not maintenance- or issue-free bikes. Should I strongly consider my other options, or stick to the 2006-2007 Sprint idea? If I buy new, I could get a Kawasaki Concours 14 for the same price as a Sprint, with a dozen dealers within 20 minutes. I am considering used for the value I could get.

Other bikes I am considering: Kawi ZX-14/ZZR1200; Yamaha FJR1300, FZ1; possible Suzuki Hayabusa or Honda VFR800 if I can steal it. I would have to put aftermarket bags on any of these, but the new GIVI PLX cases look great and I wouldn't have a problem with doing that. I am just concerned about buying a now orphaned bike in Atlanta. I bought my Sprint from Atlanta Triumph, and bought tons of parts from both them and Triumph of North Georgia.

The Sprint is my first choice right now but I need to decide if I can live without local dealer service or support, when all the Japanese makes have dealers all over the place.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is a huge concern for me. I have had my Sprint for about 1.5 years and am extremely happy. But, the Triumph dealer in my immediate area isn't the best....although only 1 of 3 left in Ga. I tend to ride to Ridge Motorsports in SC for service. But, I have a recurring fear of becoming a quasi MotoGuzzi owner. I am nervous about having a serious electrical problem that I can't get to a reliable dealer easily. With the internet and my mechanical skills most repairs are within my capacity to accomplish, but I wonder about that catastrophic failure that I can't foresee which will require a certified mechanic familiar with Triumph. This is one huge selling point for Harleys, to me. We have a great dealer here and there are good dealers not too far away. Further, it seems "everybody" with a wrench can fix a Harley. I dunno, I may be being quite irrational here, especially when it is considered that I have had few problems that have stranded me. This is also a huge selling point for the Japanese bikes.....as a group they are bullet proof and cast iron reliable. I read very few problems amongst owners on this site and that has reassured me, but I still have a niggling doubt that creeps up now and again.

While dealer support is not the major factor in buying anything to me, the skills required to fix a number of the computerized components on modern motorcycles are seldom available at just any old mechanic. Thus, the occasional need for a dealer that may not be close at hand. This is also the reason that while BMWs appeal to me I am very hesitant to get one. Closest BMW dealer to me is over 150 miles away. Because I am a daily rider these things never seem to leave me completely.

Sorry for the long post....but ya'll struck a sensitive area....for which I have few answers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Moto 400

I would like to make a personal endorsement for Moto 400 in Dawsonville. Everyone there is very nice and professional. There's no attitude and they do polite and timely work.

I bought an 08 Triumph Sprint ST from them in early November. I had tried to buy the same bike from Atlanta Triumph Ducati but they didn't seem terribly interested in selling me the bike. My sales guy at Moto 400 was Russell and he was great. Attentive and very accommodating while not being obnoxious.

All-in-all, my experiences purchasing and receiving service at Moto 400 have been very positive. Sure, they're an hour + away, but its a nice ride ;-).

I wish you the best of luck in your buying endeavors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my 2 cents...

I too live in the metro Atlanta area and I bought an 07 Sprint ST from North GA Triumph when they were going out of business...got a pretty good deal on it (at least I rationalized and convince myself and my wife that it was a good deal). I was hesitant for many of the same reasons listed in this thread (dealership will be gone, hard to find certified techs for a British bike, etc). I was considering the Concours14, but went with the more sporty Sprint. Luckily, Moto400 in Dawsonville bought the floor plan from North GA Triumph so i have a dealer close by now (I live in Cumming so it's very close). I'm also friends & neighbors with one of the former North GA Triumph techs so I'll hire him if there's a problem...he also lives in Cumming and will do any kind of repair or maint. for $50/hr...Moto400 is $85/hr. Contact me directly if you'd like his info.

Previously, i had an '05 Concours (old school body, not the new one) so this was a major upgrade for me. My old bike was just ok, but the Sprint blows it away in every category. I was a little concerned about the riding position but it has been just fine...I've done several long days on it and a couple of 4 day trips with no complaints. This is an awesome versatile bike...I"ve ridden with sportbikes in the mountains and on the interstate with cruisers and I'm never wishing i had either of those styles of bikes. They are always asking to ride my bike though...it's a compliment.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had a major failure (my fault) in Blairsville, GA while vacationing and riding the mountains. Basically your talking about a major tow bill (Geico has free towing for 75 miles) so it would take 10-15 catastrophic failures (at $300 a tow) to equal the difference in price between a Sprint and a decent Harley.

Thus, you should choose the bike that will make you happy based on your riding style. My dealer is 100 miles away from me but I schedule services in advance and spend the day at the dealer when service is necessary. You get to hang out at the shop and meet other riders while getting in a nice ride while your at it.

I'm very happy with the Sprint. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
214 Posts
the Triumph dealer in my immediate area isn't the best....although only 1 of 3 left in Ga.

Dude, Triumph just rated August Triumph Ducati a Silver Dealer. ;) (not quibbling with your own assessment, just noting this official sanction from Triumph is all :) )

But getting back to the OP:

I haven't been to Moto400 yet -- not on a day when they're open anyway -- so I can't comment on how good they are for parts & service, but there are alternatives for service. I'm having my Sprint serviced by MSP Cycles in Decatur. They're authorized by Triumph, and they have a good rep, and that's good enough for me.

As far as parts go, if you have a good mechanic you can mail order parts from one of the national dealers that folks like. Anything out of state won't include tax even if there's S&H.

I wouldn't let ATD or Triumph of North Georgia closing be a reason not to buy the bike you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts