Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the smaller oil cooler on the '06 spec make any difference to the cooling? I would have thought the larger original oil cooler would have been better -- particularly for those of us either in the southern hemisphere or in Florida/California?

Why did Triumph change the cooler? Has anyone any insight about this?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the larger one and my bike is Titled as an 06.

I asked a Triumph rep about it once and he just said that the factory went down in size after later determining that the larger one was "overkill".

I don't mind having the bigger one, as it definitely gets hot here in the summer, so anything that helps keep my bike cooler is fine with me.

JOHN

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2006-12-12 11:48, Stampy wrote:
I like the large one, It hides most of the shyte metal headers :-D
My large one hides the nice Zard headers, but this is one occasion where function has to take a back seat to form. Hot temps in summer here neccesitate a large cooler.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading the replies I guess as men we must all want large oil coolers! I for one wish mine was bigger. My wife also nods in agreement -- she knowing all about the cooling affects of large oil coolers in such a HOT climate! Seriously though, I think that the smaller cooler in such a hot climate as ours here in South Africa results in the engine running hotter and the fan coming on more often. For Triumph UK, maybe it was overkill for the British climate, but certainly not ours, those in Aussie land, and many in the States...

·
Registered
217 Posts
You are from Seth Effrika, eh? (the former rugby power, but now simply whipping boys) but I DO agree with you Teo! If a bigger oil cooler would reduce the number of times that fan kicks in, then I'm all for fitting a big one on my bike. I get embarrassed by that shocking fan noise, especially if I've pulled up at a busy pedestrian crossing. I hope it doesn't sound as bad to passers-by as it does to me! Oh hang on, justification for loud pipes?? Thats all I needed.... cheers.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Bigger is Better! I have a big one on my bike. Much cooler than a little one!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i may live in South Africa, but support England and not the Springboks in Cricket (Don't talk about the Ashes Tour plse Aussies! -- you are just AWESOME!) and Wales in Rugger -- I was born across the river from (Taff) in sight of Cardiff Arms Park and now of course the Millennium Stadium. What more can I say...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh no Teo, you support Wales in rugby....well I'd keep that a little secret if I was you.
I was born within tossing distance of Eden Park, so I will always support the All Blacks.
I was in Hawaii last week and got chatting to a guy from Pittsburg. When asked if he had ever seen Aussie Rules football, he said "Oh yeah, watched a fair bit.... I remember a few years ago this big black guy 6' 5" and fast as" I explained that Jonah never played Aussie Rules and that he had actually been watching rugby. He didn't seem to comprehend what i was referring to, but he was happy to be so knowledgable about world sport! Gotta love 'em. World Series Baseball....yeah right.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I like the smaller one, because those are the ones with the brakes that work. :hammer:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was'nt aware that Triumph upgraded the brake (lever) on the '06 model with the smaller oil cooler. Maybe that's why I'm not experiencing any real problem with the brakes?? Still wish I had the bigger cooler though.

Any ideas why Triumph changed the size of the cooler. Surely cool is better? Or was it budget / suppliers issues?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nothing wrong with a big one AND hard brakes, much much better than a small one and mushy brakes........... :hammer:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the smaller cooler on my S3 here in Scotland. The fan still comes on with alarming frequency despite our climate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I smell a RAT... (well, I would on this Forum) but yeah, smaller oil cooler = no brake problems. Did Triumph give with one hand and take with the other??
I must admit, I pay so much attention to my brake performance that I was getting paranoid. I wish I had read nothing about mushiness. Anyway, I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I cant believe no one has jumped on this. All you big tough guys like BIG ones, i'll just bet you do cupcake. :-D

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
If any one wants to improve their brakes, I'll trade you my small cooler for your big one.

[ This message was edited by: Goffe on 2006-12-14 23:54 ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts