Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I have a small leak coming from my gear shifter. I need to get a replacement part but not sure what it's called is it the shaft shifter gear seal or something similar and where can I get it newbonneville maybe? Also does the replacement part need to be specific to my bike?

·
30,533 Posts
Try your dealer or bikebandit - or triumph performance USA actrually.

It is the gear selector shaft oil seal.

If you go to www.bikebandit.com you can look the part up under your model bike on their parts list.

To replace it properly you should have that cover off, which will also require a new gasket for the clutch cover.

Maybe you can replacve it in situ - fiddly but probably doable.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think its #5 in the side cover diagram:

5:
OIL SEAL
GEARBOX LEVER

5559086-001

Verify before ordering though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I replace mine with the clutch cover in place. No problem. Drill a small hole in the old seal and remove with a screw inserted into the small hole. This will give you something to grab on to and pull it out. Replace new seal with a deep well socket to fit the dia. of the new seal which will allow you to press or hammer the new seal into place. I put a film of grease on the seal before replacement.

·
30,533 Posts
That's a cool trick. Just be careful not to drill into the case or the bearing behind the seal.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Leak

Either way - its an easy fix! & not a real problem. Too bad all problems couldnt be so simple!!! All ideas good ones.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but figured this was better than starting my own as my problem is pretty similar.

I ride my bike as a daily driver and ride it hard and have had very little issues, especially in regards to oil leaks. Had the common valve cap leak but nothing for years. That all changed yesterday.

Got off the freeway and noticed my bike was smoking. Limped the last block to work in first watching the RPMs and everything 'felt' ok. Leaned the bike over and couldn't believe that my entire motor puked it's oil out the gear shifter. I've done no maintenance to that area and have no clue why it suddenly decided to go...

That's them. Number 9 and number 5.
I'm on Bike Bandit from the link above, question to you Prop (or anyone else), how do I know it's not the #6, the inner seal as well?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The #6 seal keeps oil from blowing out the breather tube that connects out the top of part #32 (Breather Pipe). But that part only exists in early model Bonnies. I believe just 2001 and 2002. You can use the engine number referenced on bike bandit to see if your engine does in fact have that seal.

That seal does have a tendency to fail, hence Triumph going to a different solution by 2003.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts