Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My rear brake light takes a ton of pressure on the pedal to activate the brake switch. Any experience/trick with this?

Anybody fitted a temp gauge to replace the idiot temp light? Will the stock sensor work? I notice my idiot temp light doesn't light up when I turn the key to the on position before starting. I'm guessing either the light's burned out or a bad sensor. I'm partial to real gauges myself. Anybody know a good source for a small gauge with a white face?

Doing tuneup work, the radiator fan kicked on, so I'm guessing it has a separate sensor switch. Would that be a correct guess?

·
Registered
273 Posts
On 2006-11-15 22:42, LongRoadHome wrote:
Hi all,
My rear brake light takes a ton of pressure on the pedal to activate the brake switch. Any experience/trick with this?
Replace the switch (or use the front brake to activate the brake light). It's a hydraulic switch, non-adjustable. Prone to failure with age.

You could try to 'fix' it, but it's probably not worth the time and the part is not very expensive. If you do go for the part, bring the old one with you: there are 2 different part numbers and only one will fit.

G

·
0 Posts
I agree about replacing the brake light switch, though it doesn't necessarily have to be a Triumph part. I was going to replace mine with a K&L generic that was intended for dirtbikes. (Never did replace it, as mine started working again for no apparent reason the day the K&L arrived.)

My bike has a temperature gauge instead of a warning light. Somewhere, I have a picture of my cluster from last Winter. I took it immediately after turning the bike on, before starting the motor. The instruments are crusted in ice, with snow on top.You can just make out the needle on the temp gauge. It's past the red, into the "your engine has already melted" zone. Fortunately, the temp sensor for the radiator fan is indeed separate, & apparently lasts a lot longer.

When the temp gauge is working correctly, it tends to stay down by the cold end until stopped in heavy traffic in the Summer. Then it goes to halfway, maybe 3/4 on a really hot day. I never saw mine hit red 'til it broke, so your warning light may be okay. (The fan kicks in about halfway on the gauge.)

HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
[/quote]
Good job you've done there looks completely pro...is that screen standard or modded to fit ?
[/quote]

Thanks man!! The screen is standard, I still can't belive it fits the headlight so well. I remember hearing when the T509 first came out that Triumph was concerned about how well recieved the dual headlights would be so the were going to have a kit offered for a single. I do not know if they shaped the flyscreen to fit either or if that was just a rumor. Either way I love how it looks and it definatly improved the comfort. It was a lot harder to do than I thought, if I had a standard S3 top triple clamp it would not have fit. I just happed to be using a Daytona clamp, I really had to sink the gauges down low to get the height of the flyscreen right.

[ This message was edited by: meanchuck on 2006-11-20 14:33 ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts