Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just remembered a dog collision I had a few decades ago.

Hit a dog, speedwobbled into the ground. As I was laying there an old guy came out of a house carrying a rifle. He looked down at me as my life flashed before my eyes and then shot the dog. Whew! During the ride he gave me into town he lectured me about the dangers of motorcycling and the old Indian Murdercycle he used to own...

I would say this was my strangest crash ever but I think the one where I ended up on the front porch of a bar and a gal offered me a drink as I dusted off was the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks all for the advice and tips. Now I have some hope it might not be a bent fork. I will check the alignment but a sore arm and thumbs prevent me from doing anything at the moment :grin2: So it will be a few days, I will report back.
:sip:dunno
Well here we are again. I am just a good-weather guy so was not in a hurry to repair the bike. The "few days" amazingly got into a "few months" :). The sore arm and thumbs took weeks to heal and I still can feel my right thumb a little.

Replaced the four bolts holding the handlebars. This did help a little but still it looked slightly bent. I removed out the handlebars and indeed, when laying flat on the floor it showed that it was bent. Which meant new handlebars have been fitted now.
I also made a rear wheel stand, had to change/adapt a generic one so that it lifts on the forks where the rear axle is mounted. Then I used the method as described in the video shown earlier in this thread to re-align the front forks. I do not think it was twisted (much) but it feels good to have this done.

Still have the dent in the front mudguard, not sure what I will do with it. Replacing/repairing the mudguard and having it resprayed cost €350, a bit too much - I am not bothered enough I think. I tried finding another front mudguard in the right colour (green) but no success yet. I will keep an eye on this. Anyone knows of a good green front mudguard?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I also made a rear wheel stand, had to change/adapt a generic one so that it lifts on the forks where the rear axle is mounted.
You have a picture of this, I'm trying to figure out how to do that but not coming up with a good idea.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts