Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, or may not, I've been working with Suburban Machinery to provide SM2 bars specifically for the Speed Triple. I'm happy to report that I've fitted and tested the latest prototype and they fit like a dream. The first set they created had clearance issues with the flyscreen and gauge cluster, but this 2nd set fits perfectly.

Please keep an eye out on their website as to when they will be made officially available. This company has excellent customer service and were a pleasure to work with.

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/

Some pics.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wonder how the feel varies from the standard type II bars? I just got them this week and installed last night. Haven't ridden it yet as there was some snow on the ground today but no clearance issues here. Of course I don't have a flyscreen.. I like how they look and feel though (sitting on the bike anyway). I'll have to snap some pics over the weekend to post.

·
Registered
299 Posts
They look really good. It looks like they are made for the 08-09 S3's with the oversized bar right. Might have to get me one of those. When do they go on sale.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They look really good. It looks like they are made for the 08-09 S3's with the oversized bar right. Might have to get me one of those. When do they go on sale.
Thanks!

Definitely for the 08/09 as I had to send them my stock bar for them to develop the SM2.

I just received an email saying they are going to start producing them so they should be available shortly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
SPAZ,

Looks like an NJ plate on the bike. Where are you from. If possible I'd love to see the bars on the bike to make a decision. I'm in Beachwood.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SPAZ,

Looks like an NJ plate on the bike. Where are you from. If possible I'd love to see the bars on the bike to make a decision. I'm in Beachwood.
I'm in Pompton Lakes, up by Wayne. Probably about 90 mins from Beachwood, I think.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like those bar ends and they seem to work really well with the CRG mirrors...what are they?

Also the bar looks really good too! Since I have an '07 I would just have to buy fat bar mounts from Triumph to make the SM2 bar fit?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
:confused:

So SM is going to start production on these? I recieved an E-mail from them on the 16th stating that they were not going to make them yet- due to earlier bikes having 7/8" and later bikes having 1 1/8" bars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:confused:

So SM is going to start production on these? I recieved an E-mail from them on the 16th stating that they were not going to make them yet- due to earlier bikes having 7/8" and later bikes having 1 1/8" bars.
They emailed me yesterday waiting to here my thoughts. May want to reach out to them again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now I've logged some hours with them and I must say this is the best upgrade I've done. The position is perfect. I'm used to sport bikes and that's the position I'm most comfortable with so I'm biased but once I put them on and took it out I felt like I was at home. Such a huge improvement over the stockers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Responce from SM that I got today

Hi Chris,

Yes, we will make the Speed Triple stainless steel replacement handlebars. The first batch will be made beginning next week.

I will keep a copy of your e-mail and send a notice when the batch is about ready for shipping. This should be approximately two weeks.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Sally
www.suburban-machinery.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know if they're going to make some 7/8" versions for the earlier 1050's? There's a lot of 1050's out there with the smaller bar diameters that would be interested i'm sure..........I for one.
These bars are quite expensive already without the added cost of the triumph fatbar risers on top of that. :eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does anyone know if they're going to make some 7/8" versions for the earlier 1050's? There's a lot of 1050's out there with the smaller bar diameters that would be interested i'm sure..........I for one.
These bars are quite expensive already without the added cost of the triumph fatbar risers on top of that. :eek:
I didn't know some S3's have the smaller diameter, was it 05 only? My 06 has the larger.

I'm not sure I follow about the risers, I thought the point of these bars is to get a lower, more foward and narrow position, the risers would do the opposite??

·
Registered
657 Posts
I didn't know some S3's have the smaller diameter, was it 05 only? My 06 has the larger.

I'm not sure I follow about the risers, I thought the point of these bars is to get a lower, more foward and narrow position, the risers would do the opposite??
Standard handlebar (steel) has 7/8" diameter on 05-07 bikes. Triumph optional fatbar (tapered, aluminum) is 28mm (~1.105") and therefore needs changed risers to fit it. This "fatter" bar is standard on bikes 08+ (Magura handlebar), so if the new handlebar is for latest bikes, then it will require changed risers on 05-07 to fit.

·
Registered
299 Posts
email today from SM

Hi Chris,

Later today, our new 1 1/8" clamp size Triumph Speed Triple stainless steel replacement handlebars will be added to our shopping cart items at www.suburban-machinery.com.

These will be ready for shipping when our shipping department re-opens April 8, 2009. (Shipping will be closed April 1-7).

Ride safely,

Sally
www.suburban-machinery.com

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
.... Later today, our new 1 1/8" clamp size Triumph Speed Triple stainless steel replacement handlebars....
Interesting - they are stating 1-1/8"
Magura is 'nominally' referred to as 28mm
Other 'fat bars (like Rizoma for example) are 'nominally' 29mm.
And then you have 1-1/8" designation - which is 28.575mm

I just put a caliper across my '29mm' Rizoma and they are in fact 1-1/8" - exactly!

So - are Magura really 28mm, or are they 1-1/8" like everyone else?

Anyone have a caliper that can check a Magura bar?

If it is 28mm, then will a 1-1/8" bar fit properly in those clamps?

One thing for sure - if SM is saying they are 1-1/8, then they're not specifically for the Triumph but for any 1-1/8 mount bar.

Incidentally - what is different about the Triumph vs Ducati SM bar?
Interestingly Ducati also uses Magura bars and the SM link above states again 1-1/8" dimension on center section tubing

·
Registered
299 Posts
I believe the modeled the bars from SPAZ's bike in this thread so they should fit the 08-09' bikes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts