Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new allen type cap bolt to fit on the sludge trap on my 1970 T100 crank, but it will not screw in, did Triumph ever change the thread on this bolt?

·
7,074 Posts
Hi,

did Triumph ever change the thread on this bolt?
'68 to '69. However, unless your bike has pre-'69 crankcases forged with a '70 engine number, your bike couldn't have a pre-'69 crank. After that change, it wasn't changed again before the last ones in '74.

Usual problem with aftermarket stuff that "will not screw in" is it's oversize and/or the wrong thread. :( This sort of balls-up has been common for donkey's years; I've had a set of thread gauges for years and acquired a digital caliper when Lidl and Aldi started selling 'em regularly, neither's expensive (in fact, at ~£8, I had to buy a second caliper because the garage fairies find 'em so useful, they keep borrowing one and knackering the battery :().

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

'68 to '69. However, unless your bike has pre-'69 crankcases forged with a '70 engine number, your bike couldn't have a pre-'69 crank. After that change, it wasn't changed again before the last ones in '74.

Usual problem with aftermarket stuff that "will not screw in" is it's oversize and/or the wrong thread. :( This sort of balls-up has been common for donkey's years; I've had a set of thread gauges for years and acquired a digital caliper when Lidl and Aldi started selling 'em regularly, neither's expensive (in fact, at ~£8, I had to buy a second caliper because the garage fairies find 'em so useful, they keep borrowing one and knackering the battery :().

Hth.

Regards,
Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts