Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just got my t509 running, was idling like a dream had bought all kinds of parts and hard to find stuff. I took it out on it's made in voyage pulled up to a light and the white light the white line on the road and I put my foot down and leaned over to look at my shift foot pedal and the front tire slid down the f** white line and I dropped a bike at a light. F*. It had just finished raining. Anyways I get it home assess the damage few little scratches nothing bad and then got out the next day and tried to start it up and it started backfiring and running really bad I had to give it lots of throttle to keep it running. Thought okay I'll fix that later should be something minor then go out the next day start it up and I have to hold the throttle wide open for it to run. And now it won't even start so it was a steady decline anyone have any ideas I f**** fixed everything on that bike. It basically slowly went from running to barely running to not running every time I started it. I put so much time and money into this thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry that happened to you Jolly , I thought I was the only one that stuff like that happened to but at least I,ve got a little company now:D. Did you loosen the fuel cap to make sure the tipover valve isnt stuck?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good point WSC The thought did occur that a couple of years back I was flat out on the expressway when the bike suddenly died , rolled to the shoulder and it started back up, got it home and eventually came across a huge mouse nest in the air box that had sucked up to the intake, cheap fix but it took me forever to find it. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Triumph 955s when dropped on the left hand side tend to push a LOT of oil into the left hand engine cover and thence into the breather that routes into the airbox. They should be left upright for a few minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the sump before starting after a fall. The absolute worse that can happen is a hydraulic lock up of the pistons in the cylinders which can bend the conrods. The fact that you rode the bike home suggests you got away with it but you've probably got a mess of oil in the airbox, a clogged airfilter and contaminated spark plugs. Take the tank off so you can get into the airbox for a look see. If it has the stock paper air filter that'll be junk. Clean it all up, replace the sparkplugs, fit a new air filter, top up the engine oil and keep your fingers crossed.🤞

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I'll came out of the cam area. It ran a little bit after. Then slowly got worse. It sat up for 24 hours then ran very bad and worse Everytime I tried it. I have everything off already. I'll change plugs and check air box. Thanks. I have a code telling me it's a number one cylinder ground at injector open. And a relay ground which shows up ok so not sure. That's Al on the side it fell on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aw crap I put them in without doing that. But it fired up like a bat out of hell. Thanks bro. The old ones were black thick '. This bike burns rich naturally. Any ideas on how to lean it up. The air flow sensor is new. But thanks for the help. It means a lot to us guys learning.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you put fresh plugs in and it fired up healthily then the oil in the combustion chambers will burn off quickly. Sounds like you're good to go. I take it you cleaned up all the oil in the airbox and put in a new filter. If so, take it for a ride see if it runs how you remember it.

Running a bit rich is a separate issue, worry about that later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Air box was fine not a drop of oil. I shut it off in seconds once I dropped it. The valve chamber was flooded with oil though. But I picked it up quick like a kid who just ate it in his trike. Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts