Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have ´97 T595 and I have a feeling that my cluch is slipping.
When taking off- all is OK, but when in 4 or 5 gear and about 6000-7000 RPM and you open her good, then it feels like cluch slipping.
And it's nothing like your RPM's go sky high then, it yust feels like it's slipping through a little
Makes any sense for you guys?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve been having the exact same clutch slip you’re describing on my 98 T595 and I too have yet to figure it out. Are you adding any sort of engine oil additive to your engine oil? That could play a part in slipping of the clutch at high speed & high rpm, upon heavy acceleration. About two years ago I made the mistake of adding a Lucas Oil additive while filling the engine oil at oil change interval of my T595. Shortly thereafter I encountered the slipping clutch at high speed, high rpm upon heavy acceleration. I’ve been through three oil change intervals since and use only Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10/40 4T four stroke motorcycle oil and I still encounter the slipping clutch scenario we have both spoke of. I’m curious if possibly the additive I used has soaked into the clutch friction plates, won’t come off and maybe they’re going to slip until I replace them with a new clutch? Or is the problem entirely somewhere else? Feedback from anyone with knowledge of a solution or prognosis of this symptom would be very much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
684 Posts
Making sure the free play adjustment is correct at the lever would be the first thing, not sure what the setting is for the 955, it will be in the owner's manual.
Check your clutch lever is properly lubricated and not sticking, probably check the cable at the same time.
After that apart from incorrect oil that's already been mentioned you'll probably have to remove the clutch and check the plates for wear, you don't say how many miles are on the bike and how long since the last oil change?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve got 50,000 mi on my 98 T595. It’s a clean bike, looks sharp and well taken care of. People constantly mistake it for a new and up to date motorcycle. I bought it approx. five years ago with approx. 36,000 mi on the bike. I know nothing of the mechanical history regarding the bike. I bought it from a friend in a financial bind for $1,000. I’ve changed the oil religiously since I bought it at 3,000 mi. intervals. Last oil change was approx 1,000 mi ago. The clutch lever free play has been maintained at .4 - .8mm since I bought it. I have a Triumph service manual for the bike and have maintained all adjustments and tolerances according to the service manual for all components on the entire bike since I bought it. I’m finicky about that sort of mechanical maintenance, especially on a motorcycle that I own and ride hard. I just had the clutch cover off to inspect the crankshaft position sensor, but I did not inspect the clutch, as I currently have a far inferior and complex issue with my bike. I now have a crank, no start issue with the bike from roughly six months ago when I was riding home from work in the rain and the bike just cut out and died. I discovered 3/4” of water in the bottom of the battery box. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the ECM is bad. I’m currently trying to figure out a way to test the ECM, in a simple way, such as a smart test light on a certain pin of the ECM or ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve been having the exact same clutch slip you’re describing on my 98 T595 and I too have yet to figure it out. Are you adding any sort of engine oil additive to your engine oil? That could play a part in slipping of the clutch at high speed & high rpm, upon heavy acceleration. About two years ago I made the mistake of adding a Lucas Oil additive while filling the engine oil at oil change interval of my T595. Shortly thereafter I encountered the slipping clutch at high speed, high rpm upon heavy acceleration. I’ve been through three oil change intervals since and use only Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10/40 4T four stroke motorcycle oil and I still encounter the slipping clutch scenario we have both spoke of. I’m curious if possibly the additive I used has soaked into the clutch friction plates, won’t come off and maybe they’re going to slip until I replace them with a new clutch? Or is the problem entirely somewhere else? Feedback from anyone with knowledge of a solution or prognosis of this symptom would be very much appreciated. Thank you
Mobil #1. Is no good. Not Jaso ma2. Causes clutch slip. You should not have added that additive. Causes clutch slip. Use rotella 15/40. Diesel grade oil

·
Registered
819 Posts
Start your bike, slip it into 3rd or 4th, and slowly let out the clutch, if it stalls immediately, just a clutch cable adjustment.

·
Vendor
138 Posts
I would suggest pulling the clutch and inspecting the plates and the basket; after 20 years and 50k miles you should expect some notching that will cause the plates to hang up and slip. If the notching is mild enough, it can be dressed up with a small file.
Any oil additive that causes slippage will permanently contaminate the friction plates. They need to be replaced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mobil #1. Is no good. Not Jaso ma2. Causes clutch slip. You should not have added that additive. Causes clutch slip. Use rotella 15/40. Diesel grade oil
Ooo. It's this troll bait? I might be making a mistake replying ... but Mobil 1 is a brand used for cars and motorcycles. The car version is not the same as the motorcycle version. So it doesn't make sense to say Mobil 1 is no good, unless you mean the car version. Really, any modern car oil risks messing up bike clutch plates.
FWIW I use Shell Advance Ultra 10w40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil, available at a very good price in the UK from Smith and Allen. It's the successor of Shell VSX which was the factory recommended oil when I got my first Daytona.

·
Registered
684 Posts
FWIW I use Shell Advance Ultra 10w40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil, available at a very good price in the UK from Smith and Allen. It's the successor of Shell VSX which was the factory recommended oil when I got my first Daytona
I used the same shell advanced ultra in the Thruxton this time, matches or exceeds the required standards and was almost half the price of the Castrol power 1 racing in the UK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts