Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found on ebay, a T150 built by Les Williams. The seller also has a T160 for sale. When you see the title of his listing, it is easy to see why it is hard to find on a search.

One of you Uk boys might be looking so here is the number. 224446246643

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
messaged the seller to suggest he include "slipper Sam" in his heading so he may get more bidders -- selling his bike cos he is after a Hurricane

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a nice bike, Wol. He is also selling that Trident a little to cheap. Not sure i would want to own a Hurricane with its very small fuel tank but i do like the look of it. That is one reason i bought a new Thunderbird sport with the two high pipes on the right. Pity i had to sell it after my knee replacement prevented me changing gear.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Hi Rambo - helped a friend a number of years ago build up a genuine Hurricane from a kit of original parts bought from Mark Francis - lovely to look at - but "interesting" to ride -

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at a Hurricane at a show a few years ago. The triumph expert i was with pointed out that the Hurricane has a different panel on the left somewhere. That was how you might find the replica bikes. slightly different metal pressing. Many owners rate it as a 50 mile range but it was just a bar hopper back then.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
While i was involved in the build of my mates bike - we both became experts on what was right and what wasnt - forgotten it all now - even back then there were a lot of fakes popping up

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi Geoff, Wol,
Hurricane
triumph expert i was with pointed out that the Hurricane has a different panel on the left somewhere. That was how you might find the replica bikes. slightly different metal pressing.
The only thing Triumph on a Hurricane are the tank badges, it's based on a BSA Rocket 3, Craig Vetter's original is in (iirc) the AMA museum. Nevertheless, the Hurricane body won't fit even on a Rocket 3 frame without a lot of modifications, it is not by any stretch of the imagination a "slightly different metal pressing" ...

Many owners rate it as a 50 mile range but it was just a bar hopper back then.
Hurricane has about a 70~80-mile range before going on to reserve. In the 1980's before the Wall came down, Tony Page was well-known for riding his from GB to Poland and back several times. On one occasion, in France for (I think) a TR3OC rally, he started with his bike's back wheel at the edge of the Atlantic then rode to the Polish/USSR border (at the time, the USSR didn't permit foreign-registered motorcycles on its roads).

even back then there were a lot of fakes popping up
No point. Hurricanes are the most-documented triple by far. The only bike you could use for a "fake" is a '71/'72 Rocket 3, there are barely more of those than Hurricanes and they fetch almost the same money, the difference in price would be fraction of the cost of all the special Hurricane bits and you'd end up with a bike worth less than either ... :oops:

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Saw the Original Hurricane and the prototype t140 tracker when he brought them to the UK for a Triumph centenary - gave a lecture about them -- the T140 had possibly the first exhaust collector box under the engine - the tank design on it made its way to the T160 (only part meriden used i believe)

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone put a smart bid on the Sam bike. The seller cannot revise his listing now. I hope he gets another bidder as this bike must be over 20k

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi Wol,
Saw the Original Hurricane and the prototype t140 tracker when he brought them to the UK for a Triumph centenary - gave a lecture about them
:) 2002, I was there too. (y)

"t140 tracker" was his "TT Bonneville". IIrc, it was BSA/Triumph that commissioned Craig to restyle the T140 but, when BSA/Triumph collapsed in 1973, NVT obviously inherited the project. NVT had it when the Meriden workers threw their toys out of the pram, both the tank and the clocks mounting were modified for the T160 by legendary Triumph stylist Jack Wickes.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hi Wol
At the 50th Bonneville anniversary in Gaydon? 2009 He had a lecture there also.

Craig Vetter had a "I’m not saying Triumph stole my design" moment, when showing his new look T140 Bonneville TT on the stand.

I think the biggest influence of Vetters was the Vetter Mystery Ship, once the big 4 had seen it motorcycles did not look like ours again for many years.

Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
741 Posts
He is also selling that Trident a little to cheap.
Do you think so Rambo? It looks pretty but a non-runner with no history for £7.5k, a gamble at best. Maybe I'm out of touch with old Brit bike prices (or just a tight wad) but if there's no indication of what's been done to the bike I double the asking price and then see if it makes sense. A pessimistic approach maybe but so many e-bay bikes are advertised with little or no meaningful information, those which are often achieve much better prices.

Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
While I’m with JimmyMc in that the hurricane looks good..... the t160 looks better IMHO, and is far more useable.

i still think the late 69/70 T120 or tr6’s look better than the hurricane.

but we are all individuals, and life would be boring if we all liked the same things/bikes.

personally if I was given a hurricane, it would be up for sale immediately, and the money used to buy a t160 to go along with my tr6 (1970) non original.

ride safe y’all

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you think so Rambo? It looks pretty but a non-runner with no history for £7.5k, a gamble at best. Maybe I'm out of touch with old Brit bike prices (or just a tight wad) but if there's no indication of what's been done to the bike I double the asking price and then see if it makes sense. A pessimistic approach maybe but so many e-bay bikes are advertised with little or no meaningful information, those which are often achieve much better prices.

Chris
Chris, it already has a £17,500 bid on it. If it is the only remaining one built by Les Williams. It does run very well according to the listing. I am surprised how mant tridents have come onto the market in the last two months. Might be the job losses and income cuts forcing sales. I also notice many bids on old Triumphs and one T110 unused for near 50 years with the bottom frame rail rusted right through and the rest of the bike is bright orange rust,is at near £4000. The market looks buoyant at the moment. I have another bike in mind if one turns up. Not a Triumph though. I sold one to the boy and he wont let me buy it back. I have owned the bike twice already. Next time i get one, it stays in my garage. Honda CB750 DOHC custom about 1979/80 is what i want.
Never owned a Trident but appreciate what it once was and how it looks good now. Not many local to me. possibly just 3 within 15 miles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Seems interesting that the exact bid came in almost at the moment of listing. Ebay works hard to avoid "friends" bidding but it happens all the time. One to watch but personally I think it will stay there.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I meant the other bike he's selling Rambo, the T160.

Chris
Hi Chris, i can see that now.. The T160 he has at £7500 does look good but having been imported and not started up, no one is going to bid on it. Might be a damaged engine even. I will be keeping these bikes on watch as i am interested in real prices rather than what is asked .
If i see something i want at a low start price and poor description, i bid early as it stops the seller revising the advert. Of course, the seller can cancel the auction and relist for their benefit.
Ebay is often a lottery on bids and the t120 cylinder head i bought last month, i considered good value at £121 plus post. i spent another £40 on exhaust stubs and one valve and its ready to fit next time i need to take my existing head off.
I will not normally replace any original part that is serviceable so 3 old genuine valves,springs,guides is a benefit. On engine builds the more parts changed to pattern parts ,the more likely there may be an early failure of one of those parts. This way of working has been good for over 50 years of vehicle repairs. Hence changing just 1 exhaust valve that had a little damage and would not improve with a light grinding with paste.

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
If i see something i want at a low start price and poor description, i bid early as it stops the seller revising the advert. Of course, the seller can cancel the auction and relist for their benefit.
That's definitely the thing to do. Because the more people that see it and PM the seller regarding what they see is wrong with the bike or the listed price, the more likely the seller is to yank the listing. Not that it's a bad thing, just that budget buyers don't get many chances for great deals...

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's definitely the thing to do. Because the more people that see it and PM the seller regarding what they see is wrong with the bike or the listed price, the more likely the seller is to yank the listing. Not that it's a bad thing, just that budget buyers don't get many chances for great deals...
Paul, some of the parts on offer here fetch silly prices. I sold a mudguard last week at nearly £80 for an OIF T120r. Cylinder heads are often at over £250. Engines complete but needing recon can be over £1500 for one in poor condition. The re-importing from the USA has picked up again with a few companies importing container loads. One company just 40 miles away is reasonable in price but auctions most items. There seem to be a lot of Triumphs coming home in the last year. Still the most sought after old bike with best spares availability. The Daytonas are at a premium price now and often sell for more than T140 models. Ease of starting for the 70 year old riders or bad knees.
When the rides and shows begin, i will be noting just how many 500s are out there compared to 650/750s.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts