Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way home tonight & I thought maybe I was feeling my clutch slip. Then I started thinking maybe I was feeling my tire slip on the pavement, which kinda makes more sense, as it was pissing down rain all day. Then I started thinking there's no way to really tell the difference.

So there's my question: can you tell the difference between slippy clutch & slippery pavement when hard on the throttle in a straight line?

Thanks,
-Kit

·
Registered
509 Posts
One easy way, although I can't recommend it, is to change lanes while you are on the gas. If the back tire passes you, it was wheelspin.:eek:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
At a stop let the clutch out with the front brake on.. you'll soon know :)

smoke from the rear tyre - all is good
smoke from the motor - all is not so good :(

Gee you've had a bum run Kit

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I was on my way home tonight & I thought maybe I was feeling my clutch slip. Then I started thinking maybe I was feeling my tire slip on the pavement, which kinda makes more sense, as it was pissing down rain all day. Then I started thinking there's no way to really tell the difference.

So there's my question: can you tell the difference between slippy clutch & slippery pavement when hard on the throttle in a straight line?

Thanks,
-Kit
The easiest would be to watch your gauges. Tach raises and speedo doesn't, it's a slipping clutch.

Tach raises, and speedo raises as well, you're spinning a tire.

That being said, this wouldn't work if you have a front wheel speed sensor. Is that the case on an '04??

I have burnt a few clutches in my day, and you can "finger" the clutch during acceleration, and should be able to raise the engine speed. If this doesn't occur, I would say the clutch is slipping.

There is also the good ol' stall test, hold the front brake while still, and start feeding gas, and releasing clutch. Sounds like a 3 handed operation, but it can be done. The clutch will slip if she's in bad shape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Refer to next post - f you're running Bridgestones, they'll slip in any gear in the wet. It's not your clutch.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<...>If the back tire passes you, it was wheelspin.
Which reminds me.... I did feel something like this before, this past Fall, when the roads were almost entirely free of snow.... I thought I saw something trying to pass me on the left & realized it was my own rear end! :eek: More clutch & less throttle got me out of that one, but it was puckerific!

Steven- Story of my life! :p I prefer to think of it as being due some good luck! :D

PacNW- Pre-'05 Sprints run the speedo off the front.

Spiderpig- No Slipstones here; I replaced the Pilot Powers that came with the bike with a set of Conti Road Attacks. Huh. Now that I think about it, this used to happen all the time with the Michelins. I had totally forgotten that.

Ok, I am ready to do the test that sounds like the most fun to me. I am going to see how the bike behaves when I'm hard on the throttle in a straight line on a dry, sunny 60* day. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I think we'll call you, "MKOD Kit". :D

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can get the same kind of slippage on a gorgeous day like today (15* C for you Strine folks :p ), but it takes more effort than it did last night. That sort of suggests to me that it's tire slipping on pavement.

I think it's just my inner hooligan twisting the throttle too hard; the Spring weather must be letting him out. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,112 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don- I don't get it. :confused:

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Don- I don't get it. :confused:

Cheers,
-Kit
MKOD = Motorcycle Kiss of Death:D

Kit, I can't recall anyone that has gone through what you have with your machine and now with you job situation you seem to keep your socks up. I applaud you.
I am glad to have you here.

Don

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Try lowering the tyre pressures a bit..I was using the stock 36F 42R at first with my Road Attacks..but then reduced it to more like 32/39...cold.....as I am SURE I read somewhere tyre pressures can rise +3 easily when hot............

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Don. I thought I had had pretty good luck with this bike; it still runs, unlike the first two! :p

As far as the job goes, it was pretty much the last thing keeping me in NYC. It's not a loss, it's an opportunity to get out of this soul-sucking town & move somewhere better. I leave for Austin in a month.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
What beholds in Austin Kit?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Using that criteria, you are likely to fall in love about 30 times a night in any bar in Austin. The place is littered with pretty girls. Great local music scene as well.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The name stays. I'm definitely planning to play the "I'm from New York" card with the pretty Texan girls. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
509 Posts
The name stays. I'm definitely planning to play the "I'm from New York" card with the pretty Texan girls. :D

Cheers,
-Kit
Be sure to let us know how THAT turns out.:eek:

You might want to wear a cup the first few times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts