Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to whittle down the rear fender on my '04 S3 rather than buying a tail tidy and it was going swimmingly until the carpenter's knife slipped and found a home in the bone of my middle finger. It just barely missed the nerve that runs along the side of each finger and luckily didn't actually break the bone. Enjoy the pics.

Before I got started...it needed to be hacked away.

After a little work.

After a few days wrapped up in gauze.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Invest in a Dremel!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a dremel but it was only 7.2 volts and didn't have the power to get through the plastic without stopping. I used it to score the line, then used the knife to finish the job...bad idea. But to my defense, I cut myself on the last slice and now it looks great!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Keep it clean, that's too bad, I agree though - A dremel would probably've taken your finger off. Should'a posted a pic of the finished job!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey just soak it in sider and it will be as good as new.....

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
On 2006-11-21 10:21, dr_gallup wrote:
Yeah, a dremel would take that whole finger off cleanly if you slipped.
What kind of dremel are you using?!? The little bit I use to cut stuff is only like 1/2" diameter and made of metal. You might chew out a little bit from your finger, but actually, if you're using a dremel, you'll be a lot more likely to have both hands on it, greatly reducing the possibility of cutting your hand. Mine even has a flex head attachment so I can use it like a pencil to do really fine touch-ups.

Maybe you got dremel confused with angle grinder. Now THAT will take your finger off with the right cutting disk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts