Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a pair of weslake short cans to fit to my Speed Twin.
Is it fit and go or fit and watch bike idling for a while ?

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's been said here that the ECU should be re-calibrated to ensure the best running situation. That's done by starting the without touching the throttle then let the bike sit and idle until the cooling fan comes on, then turn the bike off. the rest is complete and you're good to go.

I don't know if this is fact or fiction but I do every time I change exhausts on a liquid cooled bike. It can't hurt.

Paul

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I’ve also read it should be left after the fan comes on for another 12 min.

That’s a long time idling.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I believe I've read where the ECU is adaptive by just riding it too.

I know when I installed my xpipe on my T120 at 500 miles, I didn't even know about any of this stuff. It'd been 14 yrs since my last bike, first EFI, first water-cooled, etc.

So I just rode it and didn't have any negative result(s) that I can remember. IMO adding slip-ons isn't going to need a drastic tune adaptation and riding it might just be enough.

I did do the "20 minute tune" eventually and it turned out to be over 30 minutes iirc. I really didn't like idling for that long either. You could try riding it first and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Reset adapt brings it to factory defaults. The so called 12-min tune adapts the idle to local temperature and pressure. The ECU will adapt on its own when you ride it. If you derestrict the exhaust or intake to the point that the A/F ratio becomes to high, the ECU will not adapt the fueling on its own.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Reset adapt brings it to factory defaults.
Not strictly true, it's only goes back to factory defaults if you press reset adaption when the bike isn't running or not in closed loop.
if you press reset adaption when the bike is warm and in closed-loop it will perform the idle adaption straight away instead of having to wait for the "12 minutes idle".

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not strictly true, it's only goes back to factory defaults if you press reset adaption when the bike isn't running or not in closed loop.
if you press reset adaption when the bike is warm and in closed-loop it will perform the idle adaption straight away instead of having to wait for the "12 minutes idle".
How do you perform the reset in closed loop?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
How do you perform the reset in closed loop?
Wait for the bike to get up to temperature ( >70c at least) and then press reset adaption in TuneECU.
Obviously that's just the idle adaption, the off idle adaption only happens while you're subsequently riding the bike.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just ride it for minimum if 10 minutes. It will adapt. The 12 minute tune is a process you can go through if you really want but riding it does the same thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wait for the bike to get up to temperature ( >70c at least) and then press reset adaption in TuneECU.
Obviously that's just the idle adaption, the off idle adaption only happens while you're subsequently riding the bike.
Wait - so - if you just take it out and ride for 10-15 minutes (or an hour) and then stop/let it idle and press the reset adapt in tuneecu it will immediately reset the idle adaptions?

I did not know that.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Wait - so - if you just take it out and ride for 10-15 minutes (or an hour) and then stop/let it idle and press the reset adapt in tuneecu it will immediately reset the idle adaptions?

I did not know that.
Yes, according to the service manual.
You can see the oxygen sensor short-term fuel trims go to 0 and the relevant changes made to the long-term fuel trims (idle) as soon as you press reset adaption.

Reactions: ColoradoSteve

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just stuck them on and did a couple hundred miles noticed no difference from normal except slightly different sound and different resonance at different revs.
Must try with baffles out...........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts