Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Slightly OT: Anyone make the transition from sedan to truck owner and like it?

2K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Andhedrew 
#1 ·
Somewhat off topic but bike related because it's something I'm considering because of having no vehicle to tow and carry around serious bike gear and bike.

Althought It Hasnt proven to be a problem yet I've been bouncing the idea around in my head for a while and I thought I'd ask you folks that maybe have a few bikes in the stable if it's something you found was practical to do and if you find after a bit was wise to do or do you think because of the few times a year you would seriously need a truck; like taking the bike on trips 2 or 3 times a year or taking it to get serviced twice a year, do you think you went a tad overboard.

Presently I have a sedan and no towing capabilites, I'm needing to replace my car (balance of equity and mileage) and although I've never considered myself the SUV or Truck type, my current life as a motorcyclist might require a change, it hasnt so far but it's only been 2 years.

When I've taken my bike in for service I've either gotten a ride or have been graciously given a demo to hold until the service is done.

I've so far gone on my 1 big trip a year to South Carolina and I have friends that offered to come get me (SUV owners with trailers) or I borrowed my sisters Explorer and rented a trailer. I dont suspect I'd be able to do this forever and I'd not say no to broadening my circle of movement and take a trip with new folks and destinations if/when opportunities arise.

Lastly consider it will be my daily driver like commuting and trips to the 7-11 for skittles and stuff. Would a "Crossover" be a better choice? Kinda dont like the idea of those much, dont think I'd enjoy long term ownership.

Thoughts appreciated..

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on if you have to carry passengers as well and how many.I only have a F100 ute as a cage and it is a pain in the arse to park in this town due to it's size,but on the other hand is brilliant to drive around town and highway,just parking(no power steering yet).Has lots of room for bikes and stuff in the back though.Hard call. :hammer:

#3 ·
Have you considered a tow hitch on a sedan, and a small utility trailer. The trailer can have many uses - IF you have a place to store it.

My daily driver is a F250 crew cab with diesel power - this is a bigger truck than many need, and difficult to park in many tight conditions. For me it is perfect (great for towing). But I also have a sports car.

The normal 1.2 ton and smaller trucks today are vastly improved over a decade ago. An extended cab or larger can be a good idea if you ned more room than you might think.

You will probably need ramps to get the bike in the bed of a truck. Make sure the bed is as long as you need.

Weigh your needs and decide what fills them best.

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-02-21 13:47 ]

#4 ·
I have a very used S10 pickup that I use to haul bikes around. It has the 4.3 V6, can fit 2 bikes in the bed with the use of ramps. I drove to Deals Gap from CT fully loaded with 2 bikes, 2 people and all the gear needed for a week away. I have very little invested in the truck, (about 3 grand) that I spit with my father. A used truck that is not an everyday driver may be a good option. Keep your car, and have a work truck, heck if your eveyday car breaks down (like mine has) you don't have to take the bus. :lollol:

#5 ·
A van is another option. I've got band gear, so a car is outta the question (subs for the PA just won't go in a car :-D ). I currently have a GMC Safari minivan to haul band equipment around in, but the rear deck-to-roof height (through the door) is only, like, 42 inches (though it's taller inside - go figure).

With the rear seats removed, there's plenty of room to squeeze the Speed Triple in comfortably if I remove the mirrors, and it even has tie-down points.

I'm pondering a full-sized van, though. That way I could load the TT or the BMW without having to remove the fairings.

One of these would be REAL nice:

but I'd probably just go for a regular cargo van.

Or a trailer. Anything - just get me to track days!

The S10 ain't a bad option. I had one and it served me well. There's just so much more utility with a truck or a van, and the amenities are comparable to a car these days - I've got all kindsa creature comforts, reading lights, storage space, cupholders, etc. in the Safari.

#6 ·
I just went from a Taurus SHO (with the Yamaha 200hp V6) to a Toyota T100, and haven't looked back. I love the versatility of the truck (xtracab for sure). Sometimes I have pangs for another super sedan, and I sure don't dragrace as much as I did. It's a small price to pay for being able to haul stuff around.

Once you have a truck, you'll wonder how you managed without it.

#7 ·
With 2 kids and my wife not liking my 3.4 ton 4x4 dodge, we compromised and got a mini van. I made sure if the seats are out the bike fits in! have never needed to but I can if it ever arises.
I also picked up a cheap little tracker to run into the bush for fishing etc. and to drive in the snow or ice. I still want my truck back, but this is a good compromise as I only use the cage when I HAVE to.
John

#9 ·
I just recently went from a Mazda protoge5 to a Toyota tundra extra-cab. The only things I don't like about it are the gas mileage and the rear doors that need to have the front doors open to gain access to them. Other than that, it rides smoother and is quieter. It took me maybe a month or so to get used to the bigger size.

#10 ·
I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with towing package and love it. It will go anywhere, seriously anywhere and is not over sized. Has a 6 cyl in it with plenty of power and gets around 19-23 mpg depending on if I am driving it or the wife. I also have a 1995 Toyota Corolla for beatin around town if needed..........Then again I've been driving Yota's for 15 years or so and can't complain about the durability and realiability of any of them. You might want to look into the quad cab Tacoma. Should have enough room to put a bike in it with the gate down and still seats 4 comfortably with decent mileage. My 2 cents......

#12 ·
On 2007-02-21 14:25, kartstar wrote:
I just went from a Taurus SHO (with the Yamaha 200hp V6) to a Toyota T100, and haven't looked back. I love the versatility of the truck (xtracab for sure). Sometimes I have pangs for another super sedan, and I sure don't dragrace as much as I did. It's a small price to pay for being able to haul stuff around.

Once you have a truck, you'll wonder how you managed without it.
Right on man! I have an SHO then bought a truck as well. I love having both now but I don't think I could get by on just a truck. My Nissan Titan tows awesome, hauls lots of cargo and people, but it sucks down the gas. Plus there's times I like to go down a twisty road or any road in a car. For me the SHO is long paid for so it wasn't like I had to balance two car payments.

If I HAD to have just one vehicle, I'd take a long hard look at the Honda "truck" the Ridgeline. My buddy has one and it tows decently, is Accord-like to ride in, and has nice storage in and under the bed, yet still gets 20+ mpg.

Mike

#14 ·
I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with an 8' bed - and a stick shift. I have put 6 adults in the truck in a pinch, and 5 of us have gone on 800-mile trips. Yeah, its a real B to park, but if you get the hang of always backing in, you can get into some pretty tight spots. I need the 8' bed, as I'm a contractor, and sometimes need to carry 12' material. I could fit three Speedies in it and close the gate!
I got a really good deal on it, as nobody seems to want a manual trannie anymore, and I average 15mpg.
Our car is a Mini Cooper :-D :-D

#15 ·
Don't do it, man. If you like to drive as well as ride, you'll hate a truck. Especially if you plan to use it only 3 or 4 times a year. Just rent one for 30 bucks a day and you'll still be saving gas money from having one year 'round.

Or, go for one of these:

Stinger Trailer

Stinger Review (pay registration required)

It's what I'd have if my Boxster didn't have a center mount exhaust.

[ This message was edited by: gr8shandini on 2007-02-21 20:09 ]

#16 ·
I drive a Silverado 1/2 ton. Love it. I've also got band gear to haul, so that does the trick.

I take my bikes to the track in a HaulMark 7x12 ft enclosed Kodiak single-axle electric brake drop door trailer (whew!). It'll hold 3 full size bikes and gas cans, gear, tools, track stands, it has an awning on the side etc. Nice rig and the Silverado pulls it easily. If I'm going to the mountains or AR, we'll pull the trailer behind my wife's Tahoe, it pulls good too.

I also have a Moto-Tote for putting the XR or the S3 or whatever on to take somewhere for service etc. It slides into the receiver hitch and holds one bike < 600lbs.

kjazz

#18 ·
IF you're only going to use the truck to haul your bikes on occasion, and for nothing else, then I agree: consider renting as needed. That said, I will never be without a truck again.

I'm on my second truck, a 2004 2WD GMC Sierra 1500. It can carry 5 in comfort, 6 in a pinch, and regularly pulls 19MPG (I'm easy on the throttle and don't speed with it). In addition to my bikes I've hauled umpteen yards of gravel and bark to landscape my house, made countless runs to the dump, brought home large purchases like sofas and mattresses, and most recently towed my nephew's car 120 miles. I'm always finding a new use for my truck.

My previous truck was a '99 4WD Toyota Tacoma. While a fantastic truck (and nicer build quality) it just didn't have the cargo capacity and actually got similar gas mileage, despite having a 4 cyl. motor of about 1/2 the displacement of my GMC's V8. I rarely used the 4WD so passed on that when I bought the GMC, which gave me a lower bed to boot. Much easier to load than a jacked-up 4x4.

Downsides:<UL>
<LI>Parking - it's a wide and looong vehicle. Backing in is key.
<LI>You'll be amazed at how many friends you have when they need to move :-D
<LI>Mileage is less than a car, but manageable if you don't overbuy.
[/list]

#19 ·
I love all things that go fast, muscle cars, sports cars, 4x4's etc. But if faced with only a single cage, it will always be a truck. I currently have a 99 sonoma 4.3 v6 extended cab and love it, plenty of power and I get about 20 mpg highway. The S3 is for fun, the truck gets me to the mountains and saves bike tires, and my old Jaguar series 1 sedan (vette powered) is for crusin'

#20 ·
I appreciate all the feedback, lots make very good sense. With my driving style what gr8shandini' says makes sense what many of you guys with trucks say makes even more sense, especially regarding the utility. I have a feeling that if the FJ Cruiser had 4 proper doors I would be sold, and dont suggest the Rav4, it's too girlie.

it's got pirce,engine size/power, size and utility that just about fits. My general criteria is to be sure to get something I wont complain about or resent having to pay for. I think auto purchases are too large a purchase to settle for compromises that will leave you unfilfilled.

Here is what is on my mind:
With what my past/present car ownership history/type is like, this is what I would ideally go with if I wouldnt have to consider my bikes, it's akin to what I have now (VW Passat). Do you put a hitch on this?

Upon considering a reevaluation and contemplating moving to acting like I actually own a few bikes and will need a way to tote them (one bike at a time), gear, tools, etc at some point although likely not often, thus the pickup. Every pic of trackdays or my journey driving to bike events the proliferation of pickup trucks being used is hard to ignore. Is it the obvious looking me straight in the face. I've never been a truck kinda guy so looking at one I wont complain about owning was difficult as I have a "problem" with domestic vehicles..I've been bitten so hard in the past by horrible lemons that the bitter taste lingers still..so when I saw this I just drooled, its got the 4 doors for family, the bed for tools, tents gear and bikes also a hitch for a trailer if I prefer rather than risking life and bike going up a tall ramp to the bed with a bike. Do you get a 4x2 truck for the lower bed height, what about the winter and the snow..stick with 4x4?

Admittedly likely a small bit of overkill but like some have said, what about picking up furniture, appliances, gravel, general bigstuff, etc..granted I havent needed to in the past but I must admit to not getting stuff at the local IKEA just because there is no way I could put the package in the car...hitch on the car?? Maybe something with a little more utility like:

I did check out the Honda Ridgeline but I had a hard time getting past it's look and the bed didnt look quite large enough for the bikes. No doubt it's a good product, I just dont think I'd be a contented owner.

It's time to start test driving and suffering the annoying sales pitches I guess. Hitch on the car?...hmm...hmm

apreciate all the feedback, especially from the truck guys, given me lots to think about.

#22 ·
On 2007-02-21 14:26, jaben wrote:
With 2 kids and my wife not liking my 3.4 ton 4x4 dodge, we compromised and got a mini van. I made sure if the seats are out the bike fits in! have never needed to but I can if it ever arises.

John
Yeah, I think I saw Jaben in a Dodge Caravan commercial...

(Tried to find the commercial on the net with no luck)

[ This message was edited by: Andhedrew on 2007-02-24 15:28 ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.