Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out a great Daytona today, looks like it may get my money.

The bike's got a lot of history to it.

It had some shims at 12K.

Its down 27 now and then engine makes a slight fluttering sound when warm. Otherwise quiet on tickover. I guess the valve clearences are the flutter. Needs an oil change as well, that should take care of some of that fluttering. It is slight. Whats your opinion guys?

Other than that it had a new starter clutch at 20K.

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
phpbiker, It should've had a second valve shim adjustment at 24K miles (there should be some valve train noise). If by fluttering you mean an uneven idle (tick over), that is common, but it isn't very pronounced, just not quite as smooth as a four cylinder.

Brad

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It most definately needs an oil change. I think most of it is that, and the rest is a shim. Its most definately not serious sounding...
I have borrowed a 45K bike and its much noisier on tickover but still got another 45 at least in it. You can feel it the motor is still tight at 45K. So this other one I am thinking of buying at 27K is nothing ..(hopefully :) )

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not quite as smooth as a four...

Noise is quieter when properly warmed and listening to it with a less paranoid ear.

I bought the bike and rod it 110 miles home cruising at a .... speed and it seems to be faultless.

Not as good a tyre combination as I have had before but OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts