Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1993/4 Trident with 20k on her and I have recently discovered there is a slight engine noise or roughness when accelerating between 2 and a half to 3 thou revs like a trrrring sound accompanied by a slight vibration, then after that its smooth again? Apart from that the engine runs fine …. Any feedback would be much appreciated and thanks for your consideration

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
It's a kind of resonance characteristic of these engines which varies somewhat in individual bikes. Not heard of any indication of any harmful effects.

I noticed a significant increase in it when opened up the airbox on mine & rejetted. I removed most of this when I retarded ignition slightly in this region (I'm using an Ignitech programmable igniter with a TPS).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I bought a 1993/4 Trident with 20k on her and I have recently discovered there is a slight engine noise or roughness when accelerating between 2 and a half to 3 thou revs like a trrrring sound accompanied by a slight vibration, then after that its smooth again? Apart from that the engine runs fine …. Any feedback would be much appreciated and thanks for your consideration
Check the alternator bolt...had a similar issue on my Sprint. Lots of info on the forum, do a search for alternator bolt, you'll find it. I'm putting together a Trident now...post a few pics!

Derswede

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice guys, seems to come and go but I will check the alternator bolt and running a little injector cleaner through it has aleviated it somewhat to.
Excellent forum
Muzzboot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts