Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there
As I am going on a long run tomorrow on my new to me Tiger 1980 I thought Id have a little ride round to make sure all was well

Oddly enough the clutch was slipping slightly , Oddly because the clutch on this bike has been its best feature so far and caused no problems.

Never mind thinks I and stripped out the plates to find a bit of sawtoothing on the basket and some burrs on the tangs on the plates. No biggy I tell myself and did the appropriate repairs and reassembled the little beggar.

I jump on the bike to test ride it and the kicker swings leisurely down offering no resistance and certainly not turning the engine over :confused:

Must be slipping badly and my adjustment must be way out I tell myself and do the whole job all over again :rolleyes:

Jump on again and same problem .......

Further investigation reveals the cause ......

Sheared key on the clutch hub !!!!

Not a happy bunny , previous owners bad maintenance Id guess and yes it has mullered the main shaft key so thats gonna get dear unless I can save it with a bit of clever welding .

Lesson ........ Torque up the clutch centre correctly and lap the tapers before assembly to a nice fit.

Chris

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Lesson ........ Torque up the clutch centre correctly and lap the tapers before assembly to a nice fit.

Chris
Yep, torque 'em up with a torque wrench (no rattle guns here please) and lap the tapers. RR

·
Registered
847 Posts
Please excuse me for butting in off topic.

RR can you please have a look at my thread about a 1959 gearbox? I'm looking for some local Queensland knowledge.

Thanks, Neil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts