Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend some frame or axle sliders for a TBS that would protect the mufflers in a crash? I went down on the left side a few weeks ago, and even though the bike was banged up pretty good, nothing too expensive was damaged and I should be back on the road after only spending about $600. I shudder to think what it would have cost me had I gone down on the right side onto the pipes, so I'm hoping theres something out there that would keep them off the pavement.

·
Registered
444 Posts

lol...okay seriously...if you find something, let me know! This too has been a concern of mine although I have not yet been the victim of gravity, I do know the possibility exists. In my mind I just can not imagine anything that would work that wouldn't stick out too far.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I doubt there's anything 'off the shelf' for a TBS, but how about making some kind of sacrificial heat shield type type of thing?

(or start saving now for the Thunderbike 3 into 1 you want to put on :D )

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
What exactly do they protect?

They are on the upper engine mount so the exhaust and the shifter/brake lever and foot pegs will slide on the bottom. They don't stick out far enough to protect the handlebars and mirrors, I don't think. Will they even save the headlight mounting ears?

They do look good, though :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was wondering about that. That's all they would protect, the engine cases? I can tell you from experience the horn does a pretty good job of that already, at least on the left side.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I ground my Skyking down a bit on the right side when I fell over. I still bent the bars a bit, and the Napolean mirror got ground a bit (sticks out a bit more than the handle bar). It did take some of the brunt though.

On the left I got a longer bolt and made a spacer so that it stuck out a ~1-1.5" further to protect a Stebel airhorn (mounted on the left side of the radiator shield). But the trailer hitch on the truck it slid under took out the horn & radiator before it got to the slider.

Stuff gets broken when things fall over and/or slide. Especially when you are trying to keep a lean profile. You could look into how to mount a slider on the swing arm, but that implies other issues: swing arm damage or maybe less ground clearance; handling as there would be more unsprung weight (hard to make that argument if you have the portly stock steel rims).

There are a couple of the crash bar types out there, but still limited on the rear protection. Look at the dressers (especially HD or MG California type) for rear crash bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts