Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my mod's are done for now...
BC Sleepers, ARK, CR35 Carbs, Nology coil and wires...
Wow!
How did I live w/ the vacuum CVK36 for so long w/ TOR's and a restrictor plate removal.
This has truly transformed this bike!
The direct throttle 35's pull hard and smooth in all rev ranges.
The Sleepers are just what I was looking for.
Great sound and not to loud if you feather the throttle. Cruise sound is very sweet but if you crack it, HOLD ON and I mean tight!
I almost went with NH TOGA's and 39's...
I am very pleased w/ Sean, et al, at British Customs!
I know! You want to hear sound clips. It's the wife's B-Day so I'll post some video's this weekend, if not sooner...

Oh yeah! I have some TOR's going up for sale soon and other goodies.
I'll let you know when I get them posted in the classifieds.

The only problem is I lost turn signals...
Better fix that later. Must shower and take the wife out to dinner!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Wife's birthday? And your point is??? :) Sounds like you got a good set up. I recall when BC first posted that vid clip - I thought those pipes had the most "classic" sound of all I have heard. Look forward to hearing them!

·
30,527 Posts
Attaboy Flaco, looking forward to the vids.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I so badly want to get out on my own bike!

And now you have me thinking about replacing my carbs dammit!

Ahhh - that's a mod for next winter! :elated:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Flaco! It is -30C and has been snowing for 3 days now. Last year I had ridden the bike already.

Your mods sound like the perfect combo and now I want those 35's! I am going to have to start selling blood or something to afford my cheap little bike that I have been moding way to heavily!

·
30,527 Posts
I hear ya Call! Thinking of saving for some new carbs myself now. If I do that I might put the 42s on just in case I end up going nuts over this. I have to research it all a lot more though.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went w/ the 35's cuz I believe they will be easier for me to maintain. I understand the 39's are more for the mechanically inclinded. 35's are a good for daily ride, pull the choke, crank, choke in, idles great and off you go!
I think the billet intakes really help as well the Nology...
BTW they kind of resemble the old Amals too!
Next winter mod is port and polish the head...
Don't think I need a Big Bore, just this added horse I got now...
If I had 80 bucks left over I would Dyno it to check the F+A...
Got 130 mains, 60 pilot and 1+1/4 turns...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flaco! It is -30C and has been snowing for 3 days now. Last year I had ridden the bike already.

Your mods sound like the perfect combo and now I want those 35's! I am going to have to start selling blood or something to afford my cheap little bike that I have been moding way to heavily!
Shoot! I have only $6,500.00 invested total in this ride!
Bought her for $4,500.00 and put $2,000.00 in her since last May...
No, I'm not rich, just frugal...

·
30,527 Posts
I'm so jealous - don't know why, I just put a bunch of funstuff on my bike too!

I was just looking at the 39's on the TPUSA site - I'm very interested in that setup, but I like I say I do not know enough about it. I think I'm going to stick with what I've got, and that will be a good upgrade for next winter, that way I can compare stock carbs to different carbs, I'll learn more about it that way. Then I can spend the year dreaming and learning about the different options. As well as riding, obviously!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I went w/ the 35's cuz I believe they will be easier for me to maintain. I understand the 39's are more for the mechanically inclinded. 35's are a good for daily ride, pull the choke, crank, choke in, idles great and off you go!
Maintain? What is there to maintain? The only thing I've done to my 42mm Mikunis is to rejet them. I'm glad you're happy with them, but you're missing out on some hp compared to the bigger carbs.

Flaco said:
I think the billet intakes really help as well the Nology...
The nology doesn't do anything performance-wise the stock parts don't do. If your stock parts are defective the nology is cheaper to buy than new stock parts, however.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maintain? What is there to maintain? The only thing I've done to my 42mm Mikunis is to rejet them. I'm glad you're happy with them, but you're missing out on some hp compared to the bigger carbs.

The nology doesn't do anything performance-wise the stock parts don't do. If your stock parts are defective the nology is cheaper to buy than new stock parts, however.
42 Mikuni's are top of the line! With my research I heard conflicting reports on the FCR 39's. I went with the 35's for price, even looks.
Nothing to maintain like you say, just heard the 39's weren't as easy starting as the 35's on a daily rider...

I could be wrong, but damn, she sure runs great now!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Let's see...... how much do I have into my bike already...... to much! Thing is it's never to much. For some reason I enjoy putting money into it. In Canadian money the bike was 6500 which was a steal and it came with TORS. So in the end with seat, ARK, Toga's on their way, some plastics and bars I have another 1200 into it and so far nothing I regret. Let's hope it stays that way.

These bikes are just fun and easy to work on and I love tinkering. Right now though funds are being diverted to another bike to add to the stable as my wife is signed up for her lessons April 27. She is chomping at the bit to ride so the search is on.

·
30,527 Posts
I try not to meet with those upper class gentlemen - you know the ones - Count Lacostelater and Baron Bankaccount. :D

You have to have fun! I had no idea at all when I bought this bike how much I was going to put into it - and compared to some folks this is nothing at all, but I am enjoying just owning this bike more than any other I have had. I've learned a fair bit already too, which is going to pay dividends this year, because I'm helping a couple of buddies get their rides back on the road!

Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You have to have fun! I had no idea at all when I bought this bike how much I was going to put into it - and compared to some folks this is nothing at all, but I am enjoying just owning this bike more than any other I have had. I've learned a fair bit already too, which is going to pay dividends this year, because I'm helping a couple of buddies get their rides back on the road!

Good stuff!

Amen to that. I have the most fun when I am learning so when I am out tinkering I am learning and loving it.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I don't even want to think about what I've spent on my bike....

I rode it about 250 miles today, solo, and it made me grin as much as it ever has, and I caught myself thinking about some more things I want to do to it....

yep, never getting rid of this bike. I might pick up another bike though. I want a UJM liter-beater to ride while the bonnie is down for mods, or for putting highway miles on. I want to save the bonnie for the really good twisties.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have only had my Speedmaster for 2 weeks.

Only just started working on it.

Where will the dollars go.

FrankW

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I don't even want to think about what I've spent on my bike....

I rode it about 250 miles today, solo, and it made me grin as much as it ever has, and I caught myself thinking about some more things I want to do to it....

yep, never getting rid of this bike. I might pick up another bike though. I want a UJM liter-beater to ride while the bonnie is down for mods, or for putting highway miles on. I want to save the bonnie for the really good twisties.

Your bike doesnt count sweet! lol. You have one unique machine that is more art than bike. :) so like with any art piece, money is no object.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Everyone is raving about the BC Sleepers. I haven't bough pipes yet, just gutted my stock cans but I plan to get some nice pipes. The BC Sleepers are what i am leaning towards. Flaco, how much $$ for the carbs and filters?Just curious.

·
30,527 Posts
FCR 39's run about 900 bucks, 35's about 730, K and N pod filters run 40 bucks each.

Both www.british-customs.com and www.triumphperformanceusa.com stock the gear. What is great about both vendors is they know their stuff, and can talk to you about your exact bike set up and help you get your jetting sorted. I believe TPUSA will jet your carbs for you after a chat about your set up.

I tell you what, it is really cool that we have suppliers like these guys, who can help with the tech side of things as well as just selling us stuff!

Dammit, now I'm getting excited about new carburettors. Gotta hold off and stick with the plan.......just.....for....a.....little.....while......

EDIT: the 42's look like around 1500 - so they are indeed top o' the line. All depends what you want I guess - I'm not in a position to advise one way or the other on carb set ups, but I am tempted by those 39's.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
EDIT: the 42's look like around 1500 - so they are indeed top o' the line. All depends what you want I guess - I'm not in a position to advise one way or the other on carb set ups, but I am tempted by those 39's.
that price includes an airbox removal kit. I know you've already taken care of that so the cost will be reduced to around $1300.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts