Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents I have read through the posts on pipes for the Speedmaster and thanks to the discussion have picked up a fair bit of info on them. I was wondering if anyone had a few pictures they could share of Triumph original long and short slash cut pipes. I was also wondering if there was a significant sound difference between the long and short pipes? Any info or pictures would be appreciated as there aren't many bikes to for me to check out within a 300 kilometre radius and I don't want to order sight unseen.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bushrat,
Check out my photos on webshots. There's a couple of pics with the original Speedmaster stock pipes and some with the Thunderbike long slashcuts. The sound difference is...well the stock pipes are very quiet and the T-bikes are loud but not the loudest pipes made. There's a good video clip of the Thunderbikes on their website. Expensive pipes but worth it.

My Pics

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Bush-

Silverado has the short TORS. You can check out his pics
nullHERE

You might want to search around elsewhere in the Members Photo Albums section for other pics as well.

[ This message was edited by: tba-golfer on 2007-01-28 03:35 ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link to Silverado's pictures. Does anyone know of another user who has the Triumph original long slash cuts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burnie865
Did you check the short pipes as well and was there a significant sound difference? Did your speedy need rejetting with the long pipes? Did you have the pollution gear removed and if you did, was it worth it?
:???:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got the TOR long slash cuts and am super happy with them. Chrome quality seems to be as good as the stock pipes but the sound is so much better.

As others have said, they may not be the loudest but I reckon they are loud enough. My dealer fitted them and did all the usual mods.Trust me it's worth it for the performance alone!

For pics, I believe you can check the America versus Speedy on the Triumph site as they seemed to have swapped the pipes for the 07 models

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. I will try to get a sound bite of the long and short slash cuts and make a decision. The Thunder bikes, Bubs and Staintune look good but dollars do the talking and the originals are priced right. Stay upright! :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bushrat,
I believe the Triumph Long Slash Cuts are about $385 US.

Check out these BUBS Donelson Cycles Click on the second option (America)

Not sure how much more shipping is but it's a pretty fair comparison.
Triumph Off Roads do not require any re-jetting.
Bubs come with bigger jets. That equals less restriction and more power.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the slash cuts. I'll try to get to some bigger centres to check out the TOR's, Staintune, Thunders and Bubs if possible. Most of the pipes look the goods and I suppose it comes down to the sound that feels right. For that I think I'll have to do some travelling and see what I can snoff out. Thnks again for the information I was struggling to find.
:cool: Stay upright

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've noticed that there are two different long slash cut TORs with different part numbers:

A9608026
A9608020

Can anyone shed light on the differences between the two? Does one supersede the other?

Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
After a quick trawl of the BA forum it seems that the '020' pipes have baffles, and the '026' ones are straight through. Hmm, perhaps a touch too loud for riding around London then :)

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
At least with the loud ones a blind person won't step out in front of you!

(check the General Hangout forum)

:-D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Short Slash TOR's on my 2003 TBA.

Love them, loud when desired, quiet for cruising.

I have been known to set off the odd car alarm as well with them.

:-D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Bushrat
Go back to the "Triumph Twin Hang Out" forum and you have to go back about 6 or 7 pages to 01.01.2007 to an article by My Son "Two Triumphs ( Father & Son) Pictures Included."
There you will see a number of photos of his Speedmaster & My America .Young Bull & Old Bull, Obviously the Ol Bull has has all the shiney bits including the Short Slash Cut pipes. Sounds great dident need re jetting.

PS I live in Mackay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Soory Mate it is 8 pages back and the article was by Clintd01

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gerryd01
Nice bikes. Obviously you've seen that I have the speedmaster but I have to say that you bike looks bulkier than I remember the Americas to be. It might have something to do with the accessories, but it looks good. I like the look of the shorties as seen on yours as well. Has your son had his pipes modified? The opening in the end looks bigger than I seem to remember. Mind you if I can see mine while riding, I've got problems. Both are nice bikes. and you are lucky to have some good roads to ride.
Might catch you one day. :cool:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
On 2007-02-14 16:24, uber wrote:
After a quick trawl of the BA forum it seems that the '020' pipes have baffles, and the '026' ones are straight through. Hmm, perhaps a touch too loud for riding around London then :)
Not for me! Long slash cut TORs, commuted ten miles each way through London every day. Don't commute anymore, but I am on the side of believing that a bit of noise advertises your presence, and that's got to help riding round here!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just bought the long slash-cut TORs - absolutely agree with you Rich, always good to have a bit more noise when commuting, I think the straight-through pipes might have been a bit *too* loud though!

One more question - I've read that when fitting it's a good idea to use silicone sealant on the header pipe section of the join. Should this be a special high-temperature sealant or normal sealant that you'd get in a DIY store?

Cheers!

[ This message was edited by: uber on 2007-03-01 12:28 ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts