Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike Wed. night heading home from work. A nearby construction site is continually spraying the road to keep dust down, creating a slippery cement mud on the roads. My Sky King frame slider broke off on impact, but did take the brunt of the hit and kept my fairings from cracking.

The hardware included in the kit that broke was a M12 x 100mm double-end stud. I am not sure on the thread space for the engine mount bolt (1.5 or 1.75 ?). None of the local hardware stores have the part or anything similar in metric and I left a message with Sky King about getting a replacement but have not heard back.

Does anyone know of a source for these? Ideally I would like an M12 x 125mm as the right side slider does not stick out as far as the left one.

Here is a picture of the broken stud.

The offending water tank truck.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Sorry about your incident. Gearhead_42 pointed you in the right direction for a replacement stud.

Another source is Fastenal. While they do not have as extensive an inventory as mcmaster carr, they do have retail stores across the U.S., which is a convenience.

There is a difference between measurement systems re metric studs. Metric double end studs are not usually called out by their overall length, although the metric fully threaded ones are. The usual convention for metric double ended studs is for the called out length to be the nut thread end length plus the center unthreaded length. This means that the true overall length, as we think of it, would be the called out length plus the tap end thread length.

Hopefully mcmaster carr does not use this method, and relies on the common usage reference for overall length.

·
Super Moderator
21,773 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune - do you have any recourse to claim against the city or the contractor? Ask your insurance provider for guidance.
...I am not sure on the thread space for the engine mount bolt (1.5 or 1.75 ?)....
A simple way to determine thread pitch is to count 10 threads and measure that and of course divide by 10! Hard to tell 1.5 or 1.75mm in a single thread but easy to see difference between 15 & 17.5

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had to replace the same stud when I was rebuilding mine. I got the replacement from Skyking, but it took awhile. I also got the alum spacer and total cost was $30. I think the guy works out of his garage or something.

I also checked at Fastenal. Problem with them is you have to buy the "bag" quantity. Seemed silly to have to buy 10 bolts at $2-$3 a piece when I only needed one.

Sucks about the watertruck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got in touch with the Sky King guy and ordered the $30 replacement. He said he special orders the studs from Germany and only has a set amount to go with the metal slider pieces, so he won't sell just the bolt. I went ahead and ordered one.

I used the PDF and the 10 thread measuring technique and the engine mount bolt is 1.75mm pitch.

I also ordered a couple M12 x 1.75mm x 125mm overall length (equally split in thirds) double-end studs from mcmaster carr for $3 each to try out with the kit. Will post on how they work out. If nothing else, will have some spare parts for next time.....

Thanks so much for the input!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts