Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I,m an 800 newb, but owned over 20+bikes over 40 years of riding, so I'm positive this is not a rider new thing.

I almost dumped my 800 in front of about 50 parked sport bikes with loads of rowdy fun loving riders watching me pull up...that would have been great fun eh?

This is the first time I have owned a bike that does not have a spring strong enough to keep the kickstand in place with the weight of the bike on it. Yes, I know "the course" and probably common sense would dictate to turn the wheel and put it in first gear, but I was not staying, just getting off long enough to take a pic, and move on. I was on a VERY slight incline...a scenario I've been in thousands of times on all my other bikes, and none have started to roll off the side stand. It must be geezer "new bike" instinct, but I did not move after dismounting until I was sure it would not wander off on me. I quickly....and as nonchalant as possible...grabbed the bars and brake, and engaged the side stand again...this time watching it very carefully. Of course I put it in gear and turned the wheel...but it still wanted to fold. It didn't but I still went around to find a dead-flat spot.

Now before you flame me with..."you should know better you old fool!" I must add that my Bonneville can be parked on some fairly slant stuff, and not move an inch. I just went to the garage to push it...hard..with the stand down, and it did not budge...VERY strong spring. Ditto for all the past bikes I can remember.

Does anyone else notice this? ...and does Triumph know? Is it just me? I can't seem to find much about this.

It only has 3,000 kms on it, never dropped or modified...well not those bits.

Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated, but I fear it will be mostly "put it in gear and turn the wheel moron!"

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have never noticed that issue on my 2013 Tiger 800 but I never park on a downhill slope. I just went out and double checked mine and it seems fine but I was a little surprised to see only one spring attached to the sidestand. Has your ride height been modified? How vertical does your bike sit when on the sidestand? If you increase the rear shock ride height that might help if it doesn't make it to stiff for you. I know mine sits much more vertical than my Scrambler did and I think that is the issue, less weight on the stand. Just be mindful of where you park it.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
It's sketchy, no doubt. You just have to use every safety precaution possible with it. I've gotten in the habit of just killing the bike with the side stand with it left in gear.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The spring has nothing to do with keeping the stand down, it's to keep it in the up position. It seems like this is mainly a '15 and '16 problem. My '14 has been fine, I wouldn't park it in neutral on a steep downhill but on a little bit of an angle it's fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The spring has nothing to do with keeping the stand down, it's to keep it in the up position. It seems like this is mainly a '15 and '16 problem. My '14 has been fine, I wouldn't park it in neutral on a steep downhill but on a little bit of an angle it's fine.
I agree the spring would not have any effect with the sidestand down unless it went over center. My comment on the spring was that I was surprised there is only one to keep it up. My other bikes have two.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, wonderful advice and comments all :)

After talking to my friend, who has owned dozens of dirt bikes and street bikes, I now understand the now obvious lol.
The 800...and most adventure/dual sport bikes are tall...maybe not as tall as a KTM 495 or such, but still designed to have longer "legs" and higher clearance. Its kind of obvious now that they would require a longer stand...and be tippier. He explained how un-fun it would be to try and fit a short stand to a tall bike...and I believe him..and physics and the whole gravity thingie.

I was never a "dirt" guy...my first...and last "dual sport" was an old...well newish then...Suzuki TS-250....scared the crap outta me, so after NOT plunging over the cliff into the ocean, I sold it, and vowed not to try that again. So thanks to my good friend to explain to me, what is quite obvious to everyone who rides tall bikes.

This is my first bike this tall...and apparently its not all that tall lol, so I shall certainly ensure it is in gear, slack taken up when get off it anywhere lol. YES I still love this bike :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hopped off out in the mountains one day, parked in neutral on a .1% downgrade that my klr would have stayed fine on. As I started to turn around I just noticed it creeping forward. I made a panic grab of the bike and caught it just before it would've started careening towards the earth. Learned my lesson that day.

So no, not just you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just glad I didn't bump into it in my garage....as my pristine Bonneville sits to the left of it. I'm guessing it would not take much of a nudge to have it keel over. Oh well, now I'm aware, it will never happen again.

Having said all this, I think it behooves Triumph to not just put a quick blurb on page 44 of the owners manual.

If no engineering or design improvement is possible, they need to own this "quirk" , and instruct sales people, when doing the delivery blurb..."here are your signal lights, this is how we open the gas cap..." include...."and because its a tall bike, with a straight stand, never ever leave it unattended in neutral." ALL road bikes state that in the manual, but it really takes some determination to have most flop over like the Tiger. Next time I see a GS, i'll have a peek...perhaps there will be a home remedy or farkle in the future? ...Yes yes, I'll still leave it in first ;-)

Im in it for the long haul...if I wreck or wear this one out, my next bike will be another Tiger...as long as they keep putting the triple in it. I have a serious addiction to triples after owning a K75S....I sorely missed the old girl but she was getting long in he tooth and needed more TLC that I was willing to give it. Along comes the Tiger 800 and...HELLO! They almost sound identical LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I think the issue with the side stand is that it doesn't kick far enough forward. It needs to go further forward so it would actually have to lift the weight of the bike to get beyond the vertical point.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the issue with the side stand is that it doesn't kick far enough forward. It needs to go further forward so it would actually have to lift the weight of the bike to get beyond the vertical point.
I agree further forward would help and if the spring would just go beyond over center then that also would help. I think the manufactures issue is a lot of folks mount the bike with the sidestand down put their left foot on the left peg and stand up to swing their leg over. If the sidestand is forward it is going to need to be hell for strong to support all the weight. If it is vertical it doesn't need to be as strong (heavy).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts