Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just joined this club, mostly because I'm a sucker for a deal! I won two sets of the needed calipers off E Bay. (I know, this is why you don't back up your bids! :) ) Anyway the first set was for a 2005 Busa, perfect fit and in new condition. The second set I don't think I even read the description, just went by the picture and bid! (dummy!) They turned out to be for a Kawasaki ZZR600 which are also the correct calipers except they are silver. Also in near new condition. The 600 calipers came with the master which turned out to be a real bonus. It's a Nissin 5/8" and a PERFECT swap for the Triumph 14mm unit on the earlier Sprint/RS as I have. No modifications were necessary at all! The brake light switch plugged into the Triumph wiring and the new Pazzo lever I just bought for the Triumph fit perfectly as well.

My thoughts on the swap are good. My brakes always worked well, but I did suffer from the 'Creeping' lever syndrome. I've done all the tricks that have been discussed here and on other sites and they all work, some better than others. Lately I've been doing the lever strap which is the easiest and works well as long as you do it every time you leave the bike parked. All the tricks get old after a while! :( I could actually feel the seals stick in the morning when I pulled the lever the first time. You could feel the seal sticksion on the first pull when cold.
The swap has been very good in my opinion. Everything bolts up like stock Triumph Parts. The master cylinder may not be necessary in my opinion, but it's already on so I'm going to leave it. I did notice the extra effort for the first day or two, but I dropped these calipers on pads and all! Now they feel great, and the best part is they feel that way every time. I do not feel any difference on the first pull in the morning either so thats a good sign. I even use the stock Triumph lines routed just like they came from Triumph. They don't fit as nice as stock because of the slight change in the location on the caliper.
Bottom line is this is SUCH an easy swap and so CHEAP thanks to so many deal being available on E-Bay as to be 'why haven't you done it yet' type of project! It doesn't take very much longer that bleeding the bloody stock calipers! I do hate having a set of what should be perfectly good Triumph Calipers sitting on the shelf though. Doesn't seem like we should really have to go to these lengths to get what amounts to 'Stock Brake Performance'.

But it's CHEAP, EASY, and it WORKS, so as they say 'Just Do It'.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good effort mate. I intend to change the brake lines at the start of the season for 2 lines staight from the master cylinder to each caliper. That should improve performance massively.

Kev

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to the Club! 9K miles on mine and I haven´t cleaned ´em, haven´t bled ´em, haven´t greased pistons, haven´t rubber banded the lever. Work perfect every time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What alancb said.

You needed the 5/8" master. I swapped the calipers alone first. Then I bought a 5/8" master.

Lots of bikes with six pots being parted on ebay.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Changed my calipers and master cylinder approx 6 months ago have done 10,000kilos with no problems.

As Alan said I've done nothing to them, they have save me a couple times with some panic stops (dodging the cages).

Barry

·
Registered
890 Posts
I still have yet to buy an upgraded master cylinder for my 6 pot. But then again I've been out of town for over 2 months and still have yet had a chance to put them on (or ride my bike) :cry:

So what year was that Kawa ZZR600 anyways? I need to buy a master off ebay so I can finally do the swap over now that I'm finally home again.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The listing stated they were from a 2005. Weather or not that is correct I have no idea, but I assume it to be true. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it a PERFECT swap for the Triumph master cylinder.

Did some checking and according to Bike Bandit the 2005 & 2006 ZZR600 master cylinders are identical. The 2004 and earlier are completely different with the reservoir built as a single unit with the master cylinder. (you've seen them the square type) There are a number of sport models that LOOK identical but have a different part number. They do however lump the lever and reservoir in the assembly so the master cylinder may be the same but still carry a different part number.

Just a note from looking around on Bike Bandit the latest master cylinder listed for the Sprint is really a pretty good deal at $130.00 which includes the lever and brake light switch. Also the Speed Triple 'One Piece Brake Line' is only $46.00 which is less than half the price of replacing the two separate lines the Spring normally gets. Just need to go by the dealer and do some quick measurements!

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-12-28 20:48 ]

·
Registered
466 Posts
No " you wasted your money" posts from the nay sayers!?!?!

Shocking!!!!

welcome to the 6P club. By the way, I read in a Hayabusa group that the gold 06 pistons are coated.

six piston madness

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yea, that's the 6p that I have. The gold pistons from an '06 Busa. Once my friend gets his powder coating gun working again, I'm gonna get it coated blue to match my bike, don't think gold and blue would look that great together IMHO. But I have been known to be wrong on many occasions ;-)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if it's any help a 'straight' end on the new calipers lines up better (perfectly actually) with the stock routing on my bike, but the stock lines will fit and work. The new Speed 3 line is one piece with a 'T' on top of the fender and only $46.00 but the ends are bent like the original lines.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the T piece on the Triple is like the one on the new Tiger 1050 I saw today - looks cool.

·
Registered
890 Posts
On 2006-12-29 12:19, Stlakid wrote:
Well if it's any help a 'straight' end on the new calipers lines up better (perfectly actually) with the stock routing on my bike, but the stock lines will fit and work. The new Speed 3 line is one piece with a 'T' on top of the fender and only $46.00 but the ends are bent like the original lines.
Hmmm, and this would fit the ST?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put black six pots off of a Kawasaki ZX-9 on my Sprint last month. I went with a Hyabusa master cylinder with the resevoir built in. The throttle cable needed to be rerouted and then readjusted. If you do any work on your bike, keep an eye on the throttle cable as it is extremely sensitive. Oh, and no more squishy brakes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, my name's Jon and I'm a 6 Pot convert.

I didn't want the Bling Bling on my Hooptie Who like chefjpd so I went for the gray/black calipers. I also used the 5/8 master as well. Since I said I would post an update down the road, here we go.
Overall feel is a vast improvement over stock. The brakes bite harder with out the feeling that they're going to lock up. They inspire confidence as opposed to fear. I have not had any kind of lever creep/spunginess. Overall I would say DO THIS MOD!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Bling Bling on my Whooptie Who???

should I be insulted??? :flam:

Jon, paint those things black, would look awesome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Naw, don't be offended. I'm just not one for gold.
Right now they look better than they use to...although painting them jet black wouldn't be a bad idea

·
Registered
271 Posts
GAVE UP ON MY 6 POT PROJECT AS A WASTE OF TIME AFTER I SPENT THE $.DISASIMBLED,FRESH HI TEMP FLAT BLACK PAINT NEEDS PADS.$50.00 PLUS UPS YOU FINISH THE JOB!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I've had mine on for a few months now and I am completely satisfied as this is the BEST swap for these bikes. The pads are stock for whatever Suzuki uses. They need a bit of warming up. Nothing weird, just the first couple of stops in the morning they don't bite as well as a few blocks later. They don't need to be hot, but stone cold you can feel a difference. Other than that they have been PERFECT! So perfect in fact that I NEVER think about my brakes anymore....like it should be! The lever travel has not changed a single millimeter from when they were installed! I have the Shorty Pazzo levers on and I can set them to the closest position to the bar without issues. In fact my normal setting it only one notch up from the closest setting to the bar. This is a GREAT swap and I highly recommend it if you are sick of messing around with the Triumph creeping lever syndrome! It's also DAM cheap with all the calipers available off of E-Bay for this swap. I paid $70.00 delivered for the same calipers pictured by chefjpd from a 2006 Busa. I gave them a spray of brake cleaner (didn't really need that either) and just bolted them on as is, pads and all.

:upthumb:

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2007-03-29 01:53 ]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts