Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had my striple for about 2 months now and have clocked 2500k's on it. Can anyone recomend a better seat for this machine. I find after about an hour of riding my rear is screaming to get off!! Anyone else finding this happening to them ?

triplerider

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Not wishing to get personal, but you must have a remarkably delicate kiester! :eek: ;)

Everyone's mileage may vary, of course, but I get a good two hours of saddle time before needing a break, which works out well for refueling anyway; and then I'm back in the saddle for another two, and so on.

It is possible that you have a defective seat. (On the bike, I mean...not getting personal this time.) That happened on some of the early production run, and they might have recently gotten some more bad ones from the Italian seatmaker.

Check out this possibility with your dealer--if that's what it is, the fix may not cost you anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,757 Posts
I'm going to have a some foam added to the seat on mine. I can suffer through a full tank of gas but the foam is very thin on the R models seat over the frame rails. If you flip the seat over you can see how recessed the seat pan is over the frame rails only leaving a very thin strip of foam. As well as adding to those areas I would prefer the seat not to be so sloped towards the tank. I always end up sitting right against the tank unless I'm riding hard in corners and moving around a lot.

Personally I would just take the seat to a motorcycle seat builder and have them modify it to your taste and have it fit to you. I know I can have this done by one of the best seat builders in the NW for less than the price of the Corbin.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I found the stock seat really laking with my fat butt and a Gel-Seat has made it about 40% better. I've been looking at the Corbin really hard, but it's sure is a pricey seat for something i've never sat on.

I would follow the other advice and just have someone build one up for you. Then you could call it "Custom" :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife got me the Corbin seat for Christmas, and it is so much better than the stock seat. I can go a full tank (about 180-190 miles) with it without hurting, whereas the stock seat started hurting at about 80-100 miles. I can only recommend it.

- Godmar

·
Registered
904 Posts
You are the first person that I've seen so far that has the Corbin. Have you done any multi-hour trips? Is the seat height the same as the OEM?

Neanderthal

·
Registered
3 Posts
If multi-hours means 3-4 hours, yes. I haven't ridden 8 hour days on it, though.

I'm 6', so seat height isn't really an issue for me, but it's not significantly lower or higher than the stock seat.

The seat is comfortable. I think what makes it work is that it's differently shaped, the ergonomics. The stock seat has a convex shape, whereas the corbin seat has a flat and wider shape. You can see that well on the pictures on Corbin website. That gives a larger area on which to distribute pressure. (That's also what Corbin says: http://www.corbin.com/infopages/ergos.html and it confirms my impression.) And yes, it helps with "nutcrush" since the convex shape is gone. The only area in which the stock seat is better is if you have your legs down on the ground; the Corbin here requires a wider stance.

·
Registered
904 Posts
That there would be an issue. At 5'-9", my feet are just on the ground within my comfort margin. Anything less would not be acceptable for me. I bet for the money they charge, they would make their seat a little narrower. That does indeed look like a great seat though. Thanks for the review!

Neanderthal

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think the seat is higher, if that's what you mean. If anything, it may be fractions of an inch lower, but it's probably about the same. What I mean is that if you put both legs down, there's more pressure against your thighs on the Corbin than there is on the stock seat. If you put down only one leg, not an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might check this site

I had a hurtfull problem trying to sit for a three day trip to ride the twisties in Arkansas. By the time I got home it hurt to sit down anywhere. Also was tired of the seat pushing me forward and hurting the jewels.
You might try Greatdaytoride.com. It's Spencers Seats. I had him work on my seat and have been pleased with his work. And it only cost $75.00. He uses your seat, does his magic, and puts your seat cover back so well you can't tell it's been off. For me, he also flattened the seat so the above was solved.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Guys, please stop just automatically using the Quote button!

Use Post Reply if you're responding to the last message in the thread. (Exception: if it's a long message and you want to address just one point from it, use Quote and then edit out everything but that part, as Neanderthal did with godmar's message above.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I went with the Triumph gel seat. This bike wasn't designed as a cruiser in the first place so I have no great dreams of traveling the US on it. I'm quite satisfied with the gel seat, until I've spent a few hours on my Moto Guzzi California EV Touring. I have to settle with 250-300 mile days on my Street Triple. That's about my limit without suffering from a serious case of monkey butt.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I find the standard seat to be pretty comfortable, to be honest.

I'm at 6'0" and 155lbs and I don't have any problems with it.

I do have one question though...

Am I supposed to be sitting further back on the seat so my buns are on the widest part of the seat or am I supposed to be all the way up against the tank... I can't really tell. The seat is more comfortable sitting further back but ... it feels a lot different than sitting against the tank.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Where you sit is entirely up to you. Personally, I find it advantageous to be forward most of the time, but to shift backward for a while when I need a break. Varying it that way seems in the best interests of comfort for me.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I had a very nice convo today with Rudy from Sargent Seats. I asked him why they haven't developed a seat yet for the Striple. I explained to him that it was Triumph's best selling model for 2008, and that there is a world wide presence on this forum along with other 675 forums.

We talked for a while, he seemed genuinely interested and said he would pass the information along to the powers that be, as they are having a "new model" development meeting very soon.

I'd strongly urge anyone interested in them producing a seat to call their toll free number and voice your opinion. The more feedback from owners they get the better, and hopefully it helps nudge them forward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Corbin seat anyone?

I'm reluctant to say it without sounding whiny as I find my own arse getting a bit sore after riding for 30+ minutes. I've even got the gel seat!!
Wondering if anyone out there has purchased the Corbin saddle they offer? If so, any pics/feedback? http://www.corbin.com/triumph/tst6758.shtml

I know its pricey, $419 + s/h, but is it worth it? I had a Corbin on an old Sportster I had and I loved it. Never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts