Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed tonight that my coolant level is low. Just under 900 miles on the bike. Manual says to check coolant system for leaks, so i looked at the exploded view to identify the system. Front and center right above the oil sump plug, the coolant line with a little cap is moist and covered in gunk. Does the 2014 striple have any weak spots that are prone to leaking?

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
The low level line (cold line) on the overflow is where the coolant should live. When the bike is hot it may be above it buy mine never goes all the way up the high line which is the hot level line. You don't ever fill that tank. When the bike is cold as long as there is some coolant in that tank then the bike has plenty of coolant. It's an overflow tank so any extra coolant goes there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understands the high and low lines and the purpose of the tank, im just concerned that at 900 miles i have consumed some coolant. As in i have less in the tank than i did at zero miles, yet i have not removed any.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I would note (a photo with the bike upright, not on the sidestand) the coolant level when cold and keep checking for another couple thousand miles.

I would not mess with the tension clamps.

Clean that goop from the outlet pipe/coolant drain bolt area. It should stay clean and dry.

I would take the bike to the dealer if the level continues to drop.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
Sorry. Most people do not understand how the overflow tank works.

Keep an eye on it. Yes some bikes leak at the ends of the hoses but to lose coolant in the way you mentioned usually means it would be dripping at some point. So keep just watch it for now. Also check your oil and make sure it's not getting milky looking with water in it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The shop manual for my 2013 Street Triple says the torque value for the cooling system hose clips is 3 Nm. My bike was also "sipping" coolant so I checked the hose clamps and found the lower radiator hose wanted tightening. That solved my problem. By the way, the coolant level in my expansion tank is between the MAX and MIN marks and it stays there. Many posters say this doesn't work for them, but it does for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The shop manual for my 2013 Street Triple says the torque value for the cooling system hose clips is 3 Nm. My bike was also "sipping" coolant so I checked the hose clamps and found the lower radiator hose wanted tightening. That solved my problem. By the way, the coolant level in my expansion tank is between the MAX and MIN marks and it stays there. Many posters say this doesn't work for them, but it does for me.
After changing my coolant recently I also had this issue. It's noticeable when you look at the left engine cover, it had white dots everywhere from the small amount of coolant slipping out of the hose. I had to tighten down the ring clamp quite a bit. As long as you do it by hand with a normal screw driver, I don't think the torque value really matters.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Did you happen to take note of the level at the first srrvice?
If you don't see any leaks,maybe there was air in your system that has worked it way out.
I topped mine off on the first service because it was below the low mark. Been fine since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep in mind that when the bike was new it may have had some air pockets in the system. The cooling system would've taken coolant from the reservoir after a few hot and cold cycles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts