Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can everyone with a late model S3 or a conversion with a single headlight please post pics? I can't get over the urge to switch out the headlight. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Mine isn't late model but if you decide to go that way I can show you a cheap way to make a mounting kit if you want to save some $$$$. I made these for $10

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow that homemade headlight looks great meanchuck. However you will then have to make a bracket to hold up the speedo.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yep, if I need it I build it! The forks that I am using had the gauge mount on it and it should work as a template for the gauge set up that I am going to run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did see a picture someone had here that still had the two headlights but they were tucked in real nice. It looked like there was nice bracket that held them closer to the fork tubes, similar to one for the single from newspeed.com. Looked real good. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2007-03-06 15:54, wannabes3 wrote:
Single headlights are not allowed on this forum!
Settle down Super Sidecar!

Nice job meanchuck. Where did you get the headlight? Can you send me the details? For the instrument bracket as well. thx.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It's the stock headlight for that bike, a 1998 TBS. The forks are 1992 GSXR750 so whatever bracket I make will not work on your forks. I meant if you decided to put your own kit together I could show you a cheap alternative to the $160 headlight brackets that they sell.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-03-06 18:39, meanchuck wrote:
It's the stock headlight for that bike, a 1998 TBS. The forks are 1992 GSXR750 so whatever bracket I make will not work on your forks. I meant if you decided to put your own kit together I could show you a cheap alternative to the $160 headlight brackets that they sell.
Thats what i meant, i want details on how to make my own mounts if I find a used triumph headlight. for example, where did you get the clamps and the CF bits?

·
Registered
572 Posts
First I found some cheap aluminum hose clamps that the kids use to dress up their Civics. They retail for $10 at most auto parts stores (for a pack of two) but I am to cheap for that. I went to the wholesale section of Ebay and found five packs for that price. They are 2" and my forks are slightly larger but they conform when tightened down.

Then I took the carbon fiber top triple clamp cover that came on my inverted forks that I got on Ebay and cut it down to shape and drilled it to what i wanted.

Then sand and buff and bolt it together.

They are a little thinner than I like and you can't see it in the pic but the way they line up it has the ears bent. I'll probobly make some aluminum ones eventually but at least I have a cool looking template. Hope this gives some people ideas.

·
Registered
480 Posts
thats pretty clever meanchuck i like to see people make motorcycle parts out of other things. And because its cheap even better.

·
Registered
572 Posts
On 2007-03-06 20:40, Boezack wrote:
Isn't there a Manlaw about single headlights somewhere?
This is my take on "Manlaws"-

If you need someone else to make rules for you to know if you are a man or not, I pity you. :-D

[ This message was edited by: meanchuck on 2007-03-06 21:23 ]

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's a good idea for the bracket meanchuck. You won't need a speedo on that bike because you won't have time to look at it once you get your turbo fitted. :-D
+1 on the manlaw too meanchuck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ugh,
why would you like to have a single light? When my 06 was brand new a friend said:
you have changed those lights anyway. -No, its stock.
I think visually 2 headlights is one of the things in S3. There are some imitators;
Moto Morini, Buell..

·
Registered
572 Posts
On 2007-03-07 05:22, trumppa wrote:
Ugh,
why would you like to have a single light? When my 06 was brand new a friend said:
you have changed those lights anyway. -No, its stock.
I think visually 2 headlights is one of the things in S3. There are some imitators;
Moto Morini, Buell..
Everybody likes something different. Triumph is an imitator also the took the idea from British streetfighters. I myself prefer the single at least with clipons, I love the Cafe look. Some other bikes had dual headlight long before Triumphs did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts