Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2009 Street Triple R. it has the old rr on it, do you think there is any way (now that they are replacing them for free) that i could get a dealer to mail me a replacement for free?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Depends on your dealer, pretty sure my service manager would do it for me, but not some random call in customer. Why don't you just take it in? It is kind of a pain to swap out.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My dealership runs by the book. If the bikes VIN shows up on their system that a recall has be ordered on your bike the parts are requested from Triumph. Job cards are made out. All exchanged parts must be fitted by the dealership and old parts returned to Triumph.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I ask is although the dealer is a half hour away its in the heart of St. Louis, I'd have to ride it in, drop it off, not have it for days, then go get it, with traffic and hassle I'd rather spend afew late night hours in my garage burning the midnight oil with a six pack.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I checked yesterday. The time allowed by Triumph for the job card to change the RR + harness was 15 minutes. The dealer which is 60 kms away, ordered the part against my VIN some two or three weeks ago. Once it had arrived I made a booking with the workshop and the job was done within the allocated time allowed. The bike was washed as part of the deal and I had the bike back on the road within the hour.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If I was you - I would call your dealer, give them the VIN number and set up service.

Either way, get it replaced as its not worth it having it fail on you.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Lol it takes a lot longer than 15 minutes! The rear shock is in the way and the top mount has to be unbolted. The gas tank has to be raised up and connectors removed. Try feeding the new R/R's connectors up through the small space in the frame without inventing some new swear-words. It is well worth the half hour drive to the dealer to have them do it for free. - Wayne :)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Lol it takes a lot longer than 15 minutes! The rear shock is in the way and the top mount has to be unbolted. The gas tank has to be raised up and connectors removed.
Not really.... I was there when they replaced the three items. The rear shock was not unbolted and the gas tank was lifted a bit at the front to get to the connectors (I held it up, still pivoted at the back). The rest was a bit fiddly that's all...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yeah, about 15 for a tech that has done it a few times, trust me, with normal tools you will either swear a LOT or you will un-bolt the rear shock. Getting the old one out is no problem, it is getting the bolts started again on the new mount that will drive you up the wall.

I would call ahead and have them get the part in, then schedule the service to be done while you wait, triumph will only pay the tech for 15 minutes, as previously stated, so you should be in and out pretty quick, no need to leave your bike there.

·
Registered
398 Posts
RR replace

I found out about the free replacement of the RR called my dealer they checked the vin and ordered the part.One week later I was at the dealer took abour 1 hr while i waited just walked around looked at the other Triumph's.Got the bike rode home and ordered Arrow rearset's fron MADSS great price,installed them very happy with the rearset's much nicer shifting a little bit quicker I guess because of ratio of the lentgh of thing's.Hooked everything up and no rear brake light from the pedal,took the tank off and the connection was apart near the RR.I have to say it was hard to find the other half because it's so tight in that area.Let the dealer do it

·
Registered
572 Posts
The reason I ask is although the dealer is a half hour away its in the heart of St. Louis, I'd have to ride it in, drop it off, not have it for days, then go get it, with traffic and hassle I'd rather spend afew late night hours in my garage burning the midnight oil with a six pack.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com App
It's a half hour job - a bit longer if you ride in and they have to wait for the exhaust to cool.

You should be able to ride in, have a coffee while you wait and take the bike after less than an hour. If your dealer can't do that for a pre-booked job, get another dealer.

And the Street loves traffic. it's what it's really good for.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts