Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall I really enjoy life and appreciate it for all that it dishes up. The good, the bad and the 5h1tty.

Some of my simple pleasures of life are
- Riding my RS and getting in the zone (of course)
- Spending time alone with my wife and not just for the "S" word
- Supping a really icy cold beer on a hot day after a good days work on the land. That would be right now!! :D

What are yours?

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Riding on those days where the distance seems to melt passed (in the zone, but not always pushing it just enjoying the ride), with a nice early spring crispness to the air, and a lot of blue in the sky. This can be on the Tiger or the push bike.

Reading a good book

Playing the guitar (and singing really badly!). And now exchanging riffs/chord patterns with my daughter as she learns to play new things.

Russ

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Watching the sunrise while out for a morning ride with friends or the wife.

Sitting down with my son, enjoying a cigar and a glass of port, and just talking about life in general.

Taking a walk with my bird dog and watching her work a field. The joy in her eye's (and mine) cannot be expressed in words.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Life's little pleasures

Getting a seven pound redfish on a #seven flyrod and with a fly you tied yourself.
Riding a Bonneville on a full moon night through orange groves in full bloom and smelling that sweet perfume of orange blossoms.
Taking a Citabria airplane out and doing an hour of aerobatics.
Getting a Hobie Cat up on one hull and ripping along in a good fifteen knot breeze.
Sitting on the front porch in the evening with a fire in the fire pit and sharing a glass of wine with my sweetie.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
There's a spot a mile from my house that overlooks the Rio Grande. I love going out there, especially on a clear night with the desert stars crowding the sky.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A romantic stroll on the beach. Snuggling with my girl. Whispering sweet nothings. Ha ha ha. No really, a cold beer, a comfortable couch and a hockey game on the tube.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Reading a good book that takes me to places and times I'll never visit.
Hiking the mountains alone at 10,000'.
Spending time with my family doing the usual boring old things.
Blasting along highways at hyper legal speeds and not getting caught or dead.
Skiing in new powder.
Working wood into designs I've created (furniture mostly).
Playing with my wife's dog.
Tinkering around the house, in the yard or on my vehicles.
Strolling Oregon's beaches.
TRATnetting

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Koifarm your list looks a lot like mine-

Finding a school of native brook trout feeding on a hatch in a beautiful stream.
Riding my Bonneville through the apple orchards in full bloom at full throttle :)
Sailing my Sunfish in a good fifteen knot breeze. :eek:
Sitting in front of my fireplace with my whole family around me while its snowing out.
Looking into my wifes eyes.

I flew a Stearman once , from the front seat - that was sweet. It was in full Navy colors..I thought it was the Bonneville of airplanes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Twins

Koifarm your list looks a lot like mine-

Finding a school of native brook trout feeding on a hatch in a beautiful stream.
Riding my Bonneville through the apple orchards in full bloom at full throttle :)
Sailing my Sunfish in a good fifteen knot breeze. :eek:
Sitting in front of my fireplace with my whole family around me while its snowing out.
Looking into my wifes eyes.

I flew a Stearman once , from the front seat - that was sweet. It was in full Navy colors..I thought it was the Bonneville of airplanes.
Wow! Sal, we might be identical twins separated at birth! Isn't it interesting when you find someone who is very similar or enjoys the same things you do, it makes me wonder sometimes if there are really parallel universes happening.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Years ago I use to go hiking in the Applachian Mountains in New York. The area where we would camp was on top of a mountain and it over looked the forrest and it was breath taking. Having a camp fire at night with a cigar after eating dinner. It was absolutely great!:)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The simple things

I'll repost a little story from last summer-

An old friend called me one sunday. Bunch of guys were riding down to the waterfront in the city to go out on his yacht. As it was a perfect day and as I love bikes and boats I jumped at the invitation. The boat was at a marina where there are a lot of bars and cafes all along a couple of city blocks. Its a real biker scene and unoffically known as the pickup spot around here.I'm sure you guys know the type of scene. I rode the Bonneville down and we met up at a bar.

Long story short it was one insane drunken pickup scene with scantily clad women and guys in muscle shirts oogling each other. The place was packed. The boys and I met some girls who looked to be 25 going on 50 and we all shared a table. A cover band was blaring at 120 db. We all had shots of tequila.My friends were overjoyed at our good fortune. My buddy was screaming across the table that we were all going to get some seafood and eat dinner there. Out back there was a stunbike contest going on and out front, you guessed it - OCC and the pirates of penzance.One drunk asked to borrow my bike. Drunks were everywhere, zz top lookalikes stood around posing and the music was too loud to talk. It was the kind of place with off duty cop bouncers lurking in the corners. Sound good? Well all along I'm thinking - this aint my scene - what am I doing here? So I faked getting a cell phone call, made an excuse and jumped on my Bonneville. They were all teasing me about going home but I really didn't care at that point.

I rode out of the grimy city and up through the most beautiful orchards on gods earth, through a mountain pass road with no cars on it. It was the type of road the Bonneville was made for and I was home in 40 minutes. The sun was just going down as I rode up and I saw the love of my life sitting on the back porch. I parked the bike and walked up and she says " I made some scrambled eggs, you want some? There's some ice tea. " Now normally I dont like scrambled eggs for dinner but she looked so cute sitting there, the big oak tree was over us like a canopy and everything was so beautiful, peceful and quiet , what could I say? I grabbed a plate and a glass and sat down and we ate in the quiet and watched the sky turn red, then purple and then go dark.

And those eggs my friends,well those were the best damn eggs I ever had.

·
29,948 Posts
Nice one Sal, and eloquently put.

For me, the simplest pleasure is just being around at all, but I like to acccentuate that with rides on my bike, and quiet evenings in the country watching the sun go down. I rent an old farmhouse west of the twin cities. It can be harsh in winter, and glorious in summer.

Mind you, you get those days where it is really really cold out, but not a cloud in the sky, and the sun comes up and all the trees are covered in hoar frost - that's pretty glorious too. On days like that you listen to some good tunes, drink a nice cup of tea and keep wiping the bike down with an oily rag.

And once the evening comes around, you ditch the tea and switch to a fine Cab or a real ale. :D

·
29,948 Posts
Could be Sal - I do know that a buddy of mine drives across lake Minnetonka in winter because it's a short cut for him. I guess that's one of his simple pleasures in life! Got to take them when you can get them!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pleasures

Well these days most of my pleasures are centered around my kids. Baseball and Fast Pitch Softball are their passions about 9 months of the year. I love watching them play ball and I have made many friends hanging out at the ball parks with other parents. Watching my son shoot a frozen rope from third to get the runner at first or my daughter making the tag at home makes the hours of standing out in the dust and heat all worth while.

Even though I don't get to take them that often, they both love to fish and spending time with them sitting out on the lake is pure heaven. To see the excitement in my son's face when he hooked a big Striped Bass on 4lb test was wonderful. To hear the line pop because he had the drag too tight was both crushing and wonderful as well. The fish went from 15lbs to 25lbs at the pop of the line and I don't care if he wants to back me up on that one or not.;)

The wife and I went Christmas shopping for the kids today and just having time to ourselves was really good since it happens so seldom these days. We took time out to go to our favorite Mexican place for lunch and just sat and talked. I wasn't sure if we could still carry on a conversation without being interrupted.

The ride is my time. It really doesn't matter if I am putting around the subdivision or cruising through the country side, it is still good. It gives me time to have a good conversation with myself. I personally think anyone that does not talk to themselves on a regular basis is mentally unwell. You need to be able to discuss thing with yourself and set yourself straight on a few things every now and then.

Pops

·
29,948 Posts
Ah - yes indeed.

For me - the delight of the taste of a never before tried scotch, and the curl of swarf away from the workpiece as I correctly machine a piece of material.

please understand that I only get the machining correct a small percentage of the time at the moment, which is why it is such a pleasure when it happens! :D :eek:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Working wood into designs I've created (furniture mostly).
As a fellow woodworker (furniture builder) I understand. A bit of magic occurs when you take a pc of rough sawn lumber and run it over the jointer. When you flip that board over you get the first clear look of the grain and color of the wood. Sort of like opening a present with each new board

·
29,948 Posts
Ah yes, this pleasure is common among both metal and woodworkers - the simple joy of turning a piece of raw material into a finished item for use. It's great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts