Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just won a 2005 bonnie 790cc on ebay and whilst tidying it up I could invest some time (not so much a lot of money) improving it a little before I get it on the road. Keen to get a little more power and improve the sound a little if possible.

I've heard something about some simple things you can do to up the horsepower and improve handling / sound etc - is there a link to these type of modification you can make?

Thanks

Bri

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
welcome, good luck with the new ride. your question leaves me somewhat speechless, tho.
you might want to look around a little more
Regards,
G

·
Registered
893 Posts
Improve sound? You may want to try the Baffelectomy. Its cheap and makes a difference. "How to" is posted on Triumph Wiki site.

Click here.

Check out the vendors on the forum header and you'll find lots of pieces/parts and info.

Blue pipes are normal and beautiful. :-D

Dennis

[ This message was edited by: wonderdog on 2007-03-05 06:53 ]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have you ridden one yet?
Maybe you wont need to improve it much.

The inexpensive changes are to open up the airbox in some fashion, removing the rubber snorkel is the cheapest, you just pull it off and rejet the carbs for a nice boost.

If your bike has the stock silencers, they can be drilled out or replaced with something louder and more free flowing.
The stock silencers are REALLY restrictive and quiet!

A rev limiter with the 8400 red line would help, as my bike
seems to be just getting started when it bumps the rev limiter.

As far as handling goes, nothing cheap you can do, progressive fork springs and new rear shocks will likely help.
My bike seems fine stock, but then I am used to the 1969 Daytona... it seems to handle well up to about 100 mph, at that speed I get a slight wobble in hard turns, but never looked into tire pressures, wheel alignment, shock settings, etc.
At those speeds, they don't give tickets, they just lock you up, so I (try) to avoid them.

Comfort is where I would spend the money, I am still looking for a better (thicker) nice looking seat, and more comfortable bars. At 6 feet tall, the stock bike is a poor fit for me.

Brett

·
Registered
868 Posts
Bri - if you're buying used, check out the pipes first. If they're stock its a good bet everything else is also. If this is the case, then there are a few mods below most of us look at. If the pipes are aftermarket, then you'll want to have a good look to see what else has been done before you go shopping.

Performance:
- bafflectomy (free if you can get on line for the kit floating around on this site) or new pipes ($400 - $700)
- Airbox removal ($350-$400)
- Jets / needles go with either of the above ($30-$50)
- 17T front sprocket ($20)
FYI - all this stuff together will only raise hp by 5-10 ponies max. You're not getting 80hp out of lil' miss bonnie.

Suspension:
- rear shocks ($350)
- front springs (??)

Other stuff is more aesthetic / personal preference. Lotsa seat, lighting, bars and fender mods to be done.

Just ride for a couple of months - maybe you'll find that the bike feels fine just the way it is.

Congrats on the new ride.

P

·
Registered
300 Posts
Buy some adapter pipes from one of the local vendors advertising in the top banner (under $40.00),

then go the JC Whitney on-line and buy a universal motorcycle muffler that appeals to YOU.... for next to nothing,

take your left side cover off, grab hold of that snorkel looking dealy and twist it off,

consider replacing the factory filter someday with a K&N or Uni air filter to flow a little more air,

from the same vendor mentioned above, buy the little stainless steel allens kit for the carb's when you also buy a jetting kit with it's variety of main jets (that you WILL be playing with),

consider replacing the fluid in your tubes with something a little heavier than the factory stuff, until then..... set the preload on your rear shocks to their softest setting. The front is sooooo soft, soooo under-damped, that to stiffen the rear will not work in concert with the front of the bike.

Then you start looking at handlebars to find what suits your fancy, and consider some bar-end mirrors to give your bike that added swoopy doopy 'look'.

The seat is firm, but it forms to your butt with time.
The headlamp bulb is dull, but it's an easy replacement to stick a PIAA in there.
And try to avoid from buying ANYTHING more than just the above inexpensive mod's for several months. It'll be hard, 'cause there is ALL SORTS of stuff for these bikes. But you don't want to needlessly spend your money on stuff you end up changing your mind about. Just look at all the pictures people post of their machines and take mental notes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
First understand that this question to a bunch of NUTS like us who modify their bikes weekly is LOADED. I, obviously, only mod my bike bi-weekly!! OK, enough humor....ride the darn thing awhile then make it yours after researching all the possibilities. WELCOME and have fun, but watch your wallet...it's adictive, this place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the pointers guys - much appreciated.

I was behind a Triumph scrambler on Saturday and have been behind a thruxton on my bike before - and the sounds were great. However, sometimes the sound from the standard bonnie can be a little tame.

Cheers
Bri

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Bry

I live near Croydon Surrey UK.
I'm just waiting for some reasonable weather for a couple of days to start on a few mods ( I don't have a workshop or garage).

Once I've got 'em done and tested which hopefully will only be about 5 weeks now, I'd be happy to maybe meet for a cuppa or a beer and give you a few pointers.

I'm no great shakes with the spanners myself, but there are many simple ways to improve or modify with enough parts and information in the wonderful world of Triumph Twins to have as small or great amount of fun as you'd like.

My advice till then is just ride it. If its new you should run it in with stock pipes anyhow.

Jon (UK)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Ride her 1st, then decide whats already been done & what you want from her. Then add the 2 together & wallah you got it? I did the basic stuff w/ a little fine tuning. Runs primo!! As mentioned she needs the higher rev-limiter. Just gettin there when woosh gone. I have that on my wish list. Still love the way she runs & handles. Tube oil & some others (cheap stuff) also on the list. Runs great as a sporty cruiser now. Like that extra uumph on occasion! For now -savin wear on the rear tire @ least? Enjoy!!!! :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts