Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. i just bought my first bike...a 2005 bonnie from someone up in maine. there's a little rust here and there and i was wondering what you all do to get rid of it. i'm garaging it all winter to prevent it from getting worse and i was thinking about using some steel wool and wd40 to get rid of what's there. any suggestions or products you'd recommend? thanks a lot.

mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
Bummer! WD40 with some steel wool and elbow grease sounds like a good plan of attack to me.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum. Once you get her polished up how about posting a pic? :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Aurghhhhhh, rust!

I have used 000 steel wool and it does the trick. There are various good metal polishes out there that will also clean it up, none of the brand names are leaping into my head right now.

Congrat's on the ride!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Have you thought about using some steelwool & WD40? Just kidding.
Works great. But there is also some wire wheel acid we use at the shop but you wouldn't want it to get on anything else. So don't use it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
dont scrub that chrome with anything abrasive! the stock chrome is cheap & scratches easily. you will lose the rust, but when you wheel it into the sun, aaarrggh, fortunately all I messed up were my mirrors :???:

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can find a marine supply store nearby get some brass wool in the finest (000 or 0000) grade. It is much softer than steel wool and doesn't scratch the chrome as much as steel wool but you still need to be careful using it.

I have used the brass wool with chrome polish and it does a great job in removing minor pitting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congrats on making an excellent choice of first bike! :D

You don't say where the rust is. If most of it is on bolts and other fixings, it might be worth taking time this winter to figure out which ones, which sizes and threads etc, then hunt down some replacement stainless ones. Also, get a torque wrench and a Haynes manual so that you'll know whether anything you take off has to be put back on at a set torque value.

Enjoy the bike! :cool:

[ This message was edited by: steviek on 2006-12-11 15:00 ]

·
Registered
589 Posts
The turtle wax chrome polish works great on light surface rust, and the price is right as well, only a couple of bucks from Wal-Mart.

Nathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts