Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some ideas on some inexpensive Mods I can make to my 06 bonnie

Like the Bellmouth and improved filter by kline. I would like to boost some Horse Power and not brake the bank.

I understand that some one has found a replacement for the Bellmouth a plastic version that comes from an ATV or snowmobile Co.

Any other trick would be appreciated remember I'm poor and the wife doesn't need any more ammo.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Tower,

You gotta help us out a little.

What style of riding do you do? Daily commute? Nighttime and weekend warrior? Drag racer? Land speed record achievement? Twisties addict? Other?
Do you do 2-up riding or carry extra luggage, weight?
Concerned about fuel economy?
Don't care, just wanna go super fast?
How often will you ride at say >100 MPH?
Do you care for a loud bike? Quiet? Medium?
Do you take one hour trips, or all day long, or all weekend long, or all week long trips?
How long do you plan to keep this bike? Forever? A few years then trade it in?
You've already stated budget, so that's great, please add what you can so the guys can help.

All these things, and more help to form an idea of what might be best for YOU.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Simple Mods

70 mile commute Hi-way
love rec riding - country winding
drive as long as the weather holds
live in New England -so weather is a little bit of everything
want max Hp ,
don't want to burn crazy fuel
want the bike to last forever
Noise - reasonable - Medium

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
70 mile commute Hi-way
1.) love rec riding - country winding
2.) drive as long as the weather holds
3.) live in New England -so weather is a little bit of everything
4.) want max Hp ,
5.) don't want to burn crazy fuel
6.) want the bike to last forever
7.) Noise - reasonable - Medium
8.) Drive 75 mph
9.) 80-90 on occasion
10.) solo riding with some light weight in the bags
O.K., this gives us a nice picture of expectations. To re-phrase 1-10 above:

1.) Keep the stock tire widths.
2.) Long drives, so no mods that might cause overheating.
3.) Make sure bike starts in the cold, watch for rain ingression.
4.) OK, but this doesn't necessarily jive with #'s 8 or 9, or perhaps #1.
5.) Very important, keep this one in mind.
6.) Reliability, longevity, minimum wear = bear this in mind when modding.
7.) $Baffle-ectomy? $$Tors? $$$Norman Hydes? One of these is a good first mod. Others please chide in. Remember the Budget.
8.) Drive 75 MPH. Good, no need for massive HP to accomplish this. If you want to get to 75 quick, you'll need to focus on Torque, not HP. Just a point.
9.) 80-90 on occasion. Same comments as in #8.
10.) OK, maybe you can shed some weight off the rear fender, solo seat, lose rear footpegs.

There, my useless comments and $0.02 cents worth. Others will help, but in the end, iyt's your choice, your bike, your mods. Have fun Tower. Modding brings a lot of pride and fulfillment.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If I wanted to go faster and didn't have money to spend I would gut the stock mufflers, rejet carbs, pull the snorkel, and take a dremel and open up the airbox cover inlet as much as possible. All free except for jets which are dirt cheap.It will make a noticeable improvement, probably around 8 HP.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
+1 I agree with Inslinker,

Poor mans hop up;

Radical Bafflectomy (with rebar through all baffles)
Snorkel off
Restrictor plate out
Rejet with 120 mains.

You will like the results and its practically free.

I don't know about the bellmouth, I think they dont do much.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simple Mods - Baffle Ectomy

I picture driving some rebar in then twist and pull out ???

OK Next Cutting torch !!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Really whats a quick walk thru on the baffle removal
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Towerguy,

Look up LoxPumps "muffler autopsy" and the other great threads here on the bafflectomy.

The following is my own take on the bafflectomy;

You dont need to remove the inside bffles, just put holes through them....remove the pipes from the bike. and use a work table and a flash light.With the rear baffle already removed look inside and carefullly punch out big holes in the baffle plates with a 24 inch long phillips head screwdriver or long punch ad a hammer . Look inside and find the inside baffle pipe - its a 3/4" pipe.... in loxpumps photo above it the 3/4' tube farther away from you..... slide a half inch rebar through it and knock it through the front baffle plate. You have gone far enough when you can look in the rear end of the muffler and see a glimmer of daylight coming through from the inlet....

Now you have .....poor mans TORs!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Man... I've been looking for a cut-a-way picture like this forever. Special thanks to LoxPump, and to you Sal for retrieving and posting it.

Very interesting. Now, what is the purpose and function of the small exit pipe about 1/3 down from the inlet, that looks like it goes sideways into the outer insulation? It must have some sort of function to it.

From what I can see, if you where able to get that little obstruction out of the way, you'd have a straight shot through, given that you've done what most of baffle-ectomy guys have, and removed the outlet tiny pipe baffle and insulation wrap, remove the perforated round plate that is next, then drill as many holes as possible in the solid plate just after it.

Doing this, I can't fathom that any of the much more expensive exhausts would be significantly better, given hp/$ spent.

It ends up being almost a straight shot, reasonable diameter pipe, with a slight bit of backpressure, which is good. What more do you want for almost nothing?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
regarding the baffle punch outs - I end up with two big holes in each baffle and one daylight opening all the way through the muffler. I figure it must flow pretty close to the TORs or maybe a bit better. It sounds very nice.

Regarding that little tube - there is a little tube going perpendicular. Its probably to give it resonance or something. The thing on the inside wall of the muffler is just a cover for the mounting nut.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Go to your nearest Polaris Dealer, get Polaris part number – 5410834. Cut it it in half and silicone it in.
Pardon my dumbness, but what is meant by "cut it in half". Or am I looking at the wrong part # (See http).

It looks something like this: see #2

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1223937419-653&P=SM-1997-ULTRA-SPX-OIL-TANK-AIR-BOX

I seem to recall somewhere in the archives where someone had dyno'd and tested a bike with the "XXX" Bellmouth (the $140.00 ONE), that showed zilch improvement. Seems to me a bellmouth at that point on the airbox isn't so important, and the filter inside is... a filter, as in perforated, so whe are not so worried about a boundary layer of air on the interior walls, etc.

It is certainly highly debatable, but I would suggest that the stock soft rubber "Snorkle" (Air Intake) with the rubber divider strip inside, is more of a sound deadener / exit sound wave vibration isolator than a resonant "pipe". This may explain why the simple removal of the snorkle provides instant sensory gratification with the exposure of the carb intake "Whaaaaaa".

At any rate, I'm also a lifelong supporter of experimentation and new / fresh ideas, and we're only talking about $14.00 here for the Polaris intake piece, so it may be interesting to see the action / reaction reports.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Pardon my dumbness, but what is meant by "cut it in half". Or am I looking at the wrong part.....
No, you're looking at the right part number, most likely. That schematic does not do it much justice.

Pardon my crude MSPaint drawing, but this is what the Polaris Bellmouth looks like, sort of....

Cut it right down that red line. If you are good enough on the cut, you and a buddy can share one. I jacked up my cut, so I only had one useable half (cut too close to the other side).

It pretty much is a perfect fit in the hole left by the missing snorkel (the polaris bellmouth is round, the snorkel hole is oval, but it conforms nicely), a little silicon on the inside, and it looks like it was made for it!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did a partial baffelectomy on my 790 and later pulled the snorkel. Upon riding in to the dealer for the bikes 6000 mile warranty the mechanic saw and heard me ride in and told me to put the snorkel back in. WHY?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts