Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a blue moon my '06 ST does the following: Ignition on, lights come on, wait for the dials to sweep, red light on the center gauge goes out, clutch lever in, push starter button and there is complete silence. Nothing.

It never does this the first (cold) start of the day, but only after the bike has been running. A fuel stop, or pop in for a sandwich, and then try and start it and complete silence is all I'll get.

Today it almost left me stranded. Normally when this would happen I would turn the ignition off and wait about 10 to 20 seconds and start the procedure again and it would start. Not so today. It took many attempts and it finally started.

It's as if there is a faulty connection in the starter button (switch) and it'll catch only when it wants to, so to speak.

A couple of weeks ago before my long trip, I checked my 3 year old, always on a CTEK DEKA battery per the procedure I found here on this forum, Decosse, I believe.

1) Ignition off no load, voltage should be in the high 12's. Mine was, and in fact would pop up to about 13.1.

2) Ignition on, headlights on, not running. My v would be in the high
12's and then slowly decline (normal).

3) Bike started and running at idle. My v was in the high 13's with the occasional jump up to 14.1 or so.

So that all seems good.

Thank goodness this didn't happen to me last week when I was 600 miles away in Arkansas.

Thoughts will be appreciated.

Also, what is the bump start procedure so I can get the bike to the dealer. I've got a nice downward ramp out of my garage so I should be able to get her rolling pretty good.

Thanks....

·
Registered
764 Posts
It might be your clutch switch. I had a similar problem a couple of years back and adjusted the lever and it went away.

You may also want to look at the voltage regulator. Someone with more knowledge on these may want to chime in on this. Honda's had a reputation for dodgy regulators at one stage that would leave you stranded until they cooled down.

·
Registered
560 Posts
check the clutch as said above. my son's speedie did that, had to adjust so clutch would be pulled in all the way at start.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I couldn't wait until morning so I went out to the garage, adjusted the clutch, and she fired right up. I let it run until the fan came on and then let it continue to run until the fan kicked out. Then I shut her down.

I waited about a minute and started her again and bam, she fired right up again. Thanks, guys.

Tomorrow morning, if she starts twice as above, then I know I'm good to go. What a relief!

·
Registered
111 Posts
i've had both clutch switch and starter switch fur up.. all i did was use some contact cleaner on both and they have been fine ever since..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts