Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've had sports bikes in the past and whether I forgot what they were like to ride or am too used to the casualness of the cruiser I'm riding right now... I'm finding the engine braking extremely heavy!

I've got a 2015 efi Thruxton 900. Maybe it's the aggressive riding position that makes any weight change more physically noticeable but if I ever let off the throttle - even if it was just sightly open - the weight immediately shifts quiet harshly and I'm slowing down instead of coasting.

Anyone else feel a way about this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sadly it seems that's just the way bikes are these days. With EFI and emissions, the fuel cut offs are absolute and abrupt.
You can dyno your troubles away with a custom tune. In the sport bike world in my neck of the woods, the first stop with a brand new bike is to the dyno. They don't even break in or drive before hand. It's all about tuning for driveability.
I am in the same conundrum. I came from cab'd bikes to an EFI speedmaster and smoothness is lacking. I now have access to a nationwide renown tuner of triumphs, and still having trouble swallowing the dynotune pill of 600 bucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys, there is another solution other than the $600 dynotune pill. Have a look at our tunes or stage kits.
Hey Mike, I do have your tune currently, when summer comes back around want to take another crack at what's happening below 4k rpm on my speedmaster?
We went back and forth a few times on email last fall but ran out of time before the snow flew. We left off at modifiying the L1 and L2 Tables from 230-345hPa and from 1100-4000, I went all the way to up +20% before I ran out of time. I just hate to be a bother you know with a bike that seems a little off the norm when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@sidecarbonnie oh I've never even heard of this. Gonna do some research!

@kiloTHREE Cheers for the info.

I was hoping there could be some definitive answer or fix. At the moment I've deleted the SAI and airbox, got a 2-1 exhaust so if the problem is with the tune maybe I need to just do that!

It doesn't quite make sense in my head though- if the throttle is closed then shouldn't the bike just be rolling and not using any air/fuel? Why would the tune affect this?

·
Vendor
2,352 Posts
Even with the throttle closed there is a small amount of fuel going in to the engine, the amount of fuel changes as you come down through the rev range depending on the map settings. If there was no fuel at closed throttle it would give the effect of turning off the ignition and doesn't give a very pleasant ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have always noticed the larger twins and singles have an increased level of engine braking over the in line 4,s, due to the internal rotational mass. if the fueling is not spot on this also results in light throttle jerkyness when coming back on to power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts