Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lad's,
While removing the battery and getting the Scrambler ready for it's long winters nap,I realised there was a signature written in gold pinstripe paint on the white section of the tank but can't be seen unless the seat is removed.It looks like the fellow who hand painted the pinstripes signed it "Neil" when he was done.I thought this was pretty cool that I could actually put a name to one of the guys who built my bike.Again cool feature! Has anyone else noticed a signature on their gas tank? Has our friend Neil also left his mark on your girl?? LOL!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey Landrover, yep, 'Neil' painted my blue and white Scrambler too; he also did the tank on my mate's 06 T100 which is black and red. Wonder if there are any other names about on the tanks. My 01 Bonnie has no signature
cheers, Pat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's really cool that this guy signed his work.It gives the bike that hand finished personal touch which is pretty hard to find with anything these days.I'd be willing to bet that he would think it's pretty cool if he knew that two guys on totally opposite sides of the world own his handy work and are discussing it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm pretty sure 'ole Neil signed mine too, excellent penmanship, I might add. Here's to you, Neil, thanks for that excellent pinstripe job. It's got to be tough for him, not too much coffee, not too many martinis at lunch, no arguing with the wife before work, he's got to keep that pinstriping hand nice and steady.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine was pinstriped by 'Mat', also had paper sticker with 'Andreas Poobo' on it maybe he did the paint job, was red and white, not brown though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
my company makes surfboards in China and we often get the shapers to sign the boards which is very typical. i wonder if "Neil" is from Thailand or England?

·
Registered
621 Posts
On 2006-12-12 07:19, Brooksie wrote:
Very classy touch. What else from Triumph.
Indeed. Anyone else remember the first generation of Mac computers (the vertical boxes with small screens)? Moulded inside the plastic case, where you would only see them if you disassembled it, were the names of everyone on the Mac development team. Neat! :upthumb:

Bob

·
Registered
873 Posts
I remember reading an article in Torque last year about the guy "Niel" ? who hand pin-striped the tanks. ANybody recall that.

Got no "pin" strips on the chequer board, so no sig.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got Gary Nixon to sign my Thruxton Cup bike flyscreen for letting him ride it around the Miller track at the Bonneville Vintage GP last Sept. They had a parade lap of dignitaries at noon during the lunch break. He's used to a GP shift pattern on his bike, and so downshifted twice at high RPM coming out of turns. No damage, however; another testamonial as to the durability of these engines!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Another good job to Neil for my red and white Scrambler tank!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well the guy does live in Hong Kong, which is part of China, only makes sense for them (surfboards) to be made/shaped there right? You wouldnt want him to have it done in Ca or Fl would you?

If Neil was Thai, the name would be more like Nit, Nok, Nong, Park, or Thanat, yeah I know some of those are girls nick names, but they seem to do most of the work there in Thailand anyway.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
It wasn't Neil that signed my T100. I can't rememember but something like Smitthe. The pin strips look good but they are just probably someone off the streets working for a bottle of wine. I would do it. You would too.
Just kidding Neil & Smitthe.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2006-12-12 04:56, sprocket42 wrote:
Mine was pinstriped by 'Mat', also had paper sticker with 'Andreas Poobo' on it maybe he did the paint job, was red and white, not brown though.
Yeah,mine has a bunch of those paper stickers(I left them on) with names typed on as well.I think every bike body part is attributed to somebody for quality control.I guess the production manager wants to know who to whip when something is not correctly installed!LOL!

·
Registered
18 Posts
On 2006-12-12 01:11, bung1 wrote:
Mines been signed, G.A. Smith, here in Central Victoria, Australia :cool:
Same here , must be a Aussie/Vic thing as I'm in Eastern Victoria . Signed Smith on a black/red T100

cheers Michael

·
Registered
799 Posts
On 2006-12-12 13:58, cobra935o wrote:
Well the guy does live in Hong Kong, which is part of China, only makes sense for them (surfboards) to be made/shaped there right? You wouldnt want him to have it done in Ca or Fl would you?

If Neil was Thai, the name would be more like Nit, Nok, Nong, Park, or Thanat, yeah I know some of those are girls nick names, but they seem to do most of the work there in Thailand anyway.

Nathan
Surfboards should be made by surfers. The shaper must understand how a board works and where it should work best and who for. Not some generic template that has been ripped off of other boards and mas produced (not saying that is what this particular surfboard company does), You must not surf :???:
On the other hand, Im going to check my thruxton to see if it has been signed. Thats pretty cool...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts