Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 sprint rs

Recently I replaced a rear signal on my 01 sprint rs... I hooked the connectors to the signal backwards, The signals worked for one ride and when I got back none of them work

no fuses are blown and there is still a sound when I initially click it left or right (sounds like it is coming from the area right next to the fuse box)

any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
did you replace them with LED's? if so, they are polarity sensitive, and if they are cheap ones without diodes, you just burned them out.

If they are regular bulbs......

does the relay click really fast? the relay is load sensitive and flashes faster when a bulb or 2 is burned out.

looking at the wiring diagram, there is also a headlight cutout relay that cuts all the lights when the starter is cranking. is your headlight working?? The relay cuts the ground to all your indicators and headlight.

good luck tracing the problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are stock bulbs... all lights work properly except the signals...

There is only one click, that is when i first push the indicator to the left or the right (click once then nothing). it is only at the time i push the button over that it clicks (not a steady click click, or the fast click click click indicating a bulb is out...)

before all my signals worked except one, now none of them work... only thing I could think is I blew out a fuse because I hooked the light up backwards.... but no fuses are out.

It is quite uncomfortable riding with only hand signals, any help would be great

·
Registered
348 Posts
I kinda doubt hooking the light up backwards messed anything up. A 12volt bulb doesn't care which is neg and pos as far as I know. I guess you should start poking around with a tester to find out where there is power and where there isn't.

My guess is that the relay went bad. They can still click sometimes even though they no longer allow the flow of electricity. Or maybe the signal itself is bad and grounding itself out somehow...I dunno.

I'd use a multimeter or tester to narrow it down. If you don't have one taking it to someone who does and knows something about how to use it should sort the problem out quickly.

If you disconnect the new signal do the other ones work like before?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, the signals do not work even when the new one is not hooked up. I only get one click when I first push the signal over... After that there is no clicking at all... I will test it out. I am assuming no power is being sent out anymore...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts