Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Speed Twin. After market LED indicators on the front and rear. No other electrical issues noted.

The front and rear indicators stopped functioning two nights ago after traveling down a rough road. I cannot take it back to the dealer because I have done all the mods myself. All indicators functioned for over 2 weeks after installation, so I do not believe they are the problem. I have also tested each of them since they stopped working on a battery, and they operate normally.

Mods:
Front/rear indicators and brake light
Fender eliminator (fabricated by me) - the new kit holds the ECU and seat release mechanism securely

*I also attempted new handlebars, but they were too high for the stock clutch cable. I removed all the hand controls in the process, so I could have pulled something loose. I looked for loose connections in the headlight when I installed the new front indicators, but noted nothing unusual.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-S

**Edit - Links to aftermarket lights
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/flexible-led-integrated-tail-light-indicators.html
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/motogadget-m-blaze-pin-led-turn-signal-black-single-unit.html

·
Registered
249 Posts
My new Speed Twin's (stock) turn signals were having intermittent problems. One of the signals (don't remember which) was not working. I took the seat off and wiggled and pushed the connector. Hasn't happen since. Check the stock connector. See if the contacts are pushed all the way in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go, and let you know how that works. Incidentally, I cut the stock connector off the original lights and soldered them to the new setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Still Not Working

I have pulled the seat off and checked all the wires and connectors. No issues noted.

I have pulled the headlamp off and checked all the wires and connectors. No issues noted.

I verified the indicator relay switch was working.

I tried all the settings on the ECU (Hold down the "i" button and changed the type). No change.

Of note, there is no sound when I turn on the indicators or hazards. Based on research, I think that means there is a fault between the switch and the relay.

I do not know where to go from here other than paying an electrician to trace each line, which I have scheduled for the 18th. Any advice or suggestions that might help me fix it before then would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-r2l

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im pretty sure the flasher is built into the speedo dash--not a traditional flasher relay

I think Id try an old turn sig to see if its working

or make sure bottom electrical plug to speedo head is fully seated

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is your horn working, if not check fuse number 7.
There is a flasher relay but the instrument display is involved as well, hence the different setting options.
I would reconnect the original indicators/tail light just temporary to eliminate problems with the switch gear, wiring, and instrument display.
Then report back.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Try taking out each signal bulb one at a time. After you take one out and reinstall it try the signals until you find which one solves the problem. I have the same problem and this seams to work. It is annoying but it always works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Still not working

I pulled each light. Checked each connection. Checked my soldering and connections. Checked the relays. I can't find anything amiss.

The horn and all other electronics work. All fuses are good. I tried every "type setting" on the ECU.

If I have the hazard button or indicator button on when I start the bike, they flash once.

Frustrated.
-r2l

·
Registered
499 Posts
Update: Still not working

I pulled each light. Checked each connection. Checked my soldering and connections. Checked the relays. I can't find anything amiss.

The horn and all other electronics work. All fuses are good. I tried every "type setting" on the ECU.

If I have the hazard button or indicator button on when I start the bike, they flash once.

Frustrated.
-r2l
Did you reconnect the originals to eliminate everything else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Scotty

I did not reconnect the original lights, as that would have required some clipping and re-soldering.

I used the original harnesses for the new lights.

-r2l

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Closer to an answer

I dropped the bike off with the Triumph shop today. The issue is that the computer does not like the load it is seeing off the new lights. I am waiting on them to talk to the tech guys and get back with a solution.

The good news is that my installation was executed cleanly, and all my soldered connections were done properly. I'm happy I got that part right.

I'll update once more with the solution.

-r2l

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Disappointment.

The official solution from the dealer: Put the original lights back on and quit messing with it.

The ECU does not like/won't recognize the low load produced by the new lights. Any electricians on here have any suggestions on what kind of resister I can try to make these lights work?

Any help is appreciated.

-r2l

·
Registered
499 Posts
Update: Disappointment.

The official solution from the dealer: Put the original lights back on and quit messing with it.

The ECU does not like/won't recognize the low load produced by the new lights. Any electricians on here have any suggestions on what kind of resister I can try to make these lights work?

Any help is appreciated.

-r2l
I presume you had original filament lamp indicators fitted?
Do you have a digital multimeter that can read milliamps, if you can get the load on your LED indicators somewhere near the triumph LED indicators they should work with the correct setting on the dash.
if you can test your indicators and give me the load in milliamps(and battery voltage) I'll do the same with my triumph LEDs and figure out a resistor size.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would start with the back and lose that bar type LED
Just install back ones and see if they all work
maybe start with install stock rear ones

those front motogadget are pretty high quality and might start working once you get ride of that rear bar type

You could also email motogadget- -they are top notch high end company and probably have ideas on resistors etc if needed

Rizoma also makes super nice small LED lights that should work--look at aandcycles.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the tips. As soon as I get a chance, I'll break it open and play with it and report back. If the front motogadgets work, then I'll likely just get a set for the rear and see if that will solve my problem. I'll also report back on the amperage soon.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

-r2l

·
Registered
249 Posts
The ECU does not know if you are running the OEM or aftermarket signals. To be within the expected resistance, measure the OEM signals' and compare to the new ones, with and without the resistors. You might need to purchase different resistors but you can make it work. Keep in mind that LED may measure differently depending on polarity. I presume you have a multimeter and some very basic electrical knowledge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts