Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Australia with driving on the left hand side of the road, the side stand is on the left hand side of the bike. This makes for easier parking as we are leaning with the camber of the road (leaning into the kerb). I have noticed on this site, photo's of you guy's in the states with bikes still with the side stand on the left hand side of the bike. This must make it difficult to park the bike on the right hand side of the road or do you park at a ninety degree angle to the kerb.

Rick.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Every bike I have ever had has had the side stand lever on the left side. The center stand also. I never thought much about it. I always park backed into the curb so the bike is facing up hill. Not for the hill but so I can drive off without having to back the bike up.
Maybe it's that whirlpool thing about the Northern & Southern hemispheres.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When you dismount yer horse you always get off the left side.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
yes, if you ever approached your bonny from the wrong side, ya might get throwed
G :cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tradition of being able to clear your sword dictated the left side mount. If you guys continue to do so (mount from the left) for the same reason, it is a true testament that REAL men ride Triumphs! :-D

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-11-17 07:36, bobw3592 wrote:
Tradition of being able to clear your sword dictated the left side mount. If you guys continue to do so (mount from the left) for the same reason, it is a true testament that REAL men ride Triumphs! :-D
I've wondered why the left side was traditionally the proper side to mount from. I knew that horses are trained to be mounted from the left too. And now I know why. Cool. :-D

·
Registered
711 Posts
road dog, I didn't want to offend any lady riders with my clear your sword/package, but yes, it was for clearing your sword/weapon. It continues as tradition and standardization.

It also was wise then and now for a horse to be trained to be mounted from both sides in case you were left handed in days of old and other consideration etc. Horses don't see/process like people and if you don't imprint right and left mounting they don't respond to a different approach as the same, only different. They can be very skittish and as said above, help you dismount quickly or shy away all together.

Beautiful animals with unique personalities, kind like Triumphs.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
bobw3592, I assumed that it had something to do with people being right-handed in general. But I try to leave my sword at home now a days, and forgot all about that. :-D

Getting back to jennygrima's original question... I (like just about everybody else) back up to the curb at an angle. I remember this being shown as the correct procedure when I studied for the motorcycle license test, over 30 yrs ago.
:roll:

·
Registered
711 Posts
road dog, my mind is back on track, agree with you on parking 101. I've been riding over 40 years and the backing in was taught to me as well. It was easier to drive the bike out of the little depression near the curb than it was to tug it back from it. The bike is more visible and just makes for more control and better field of vision when transitioning back into traffic. Most important reason is that it looks cool, especially when more riders join you! :)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
That's exactly right bobw3592. It easiest to roll back & downhill to park, then drive forward & uphill to leave. It's just 'the nature of the beast' that has no reverse.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
No reverse unless you got a Goldwing.
I have had people ask me why bikers always back in. I have always done it & I don't even wear a sword anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.