Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got on my bike to go to work and couldn't get it to start in gear. Started right up in neutral but as soon as I dropped into gear it died just like when the kickstand is down, but it was up. Got under the bike and saw the the wires connecting the kickstand switch (Maybe a magnet? Not sure how it works on these bikes), but the wires were definitely cut. Could this be vandalism?! Seems like too small of an area for an errant rock to strip it or get caught on something, and the bike was fine when I last parked it last week!

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Remove the switch, solder it back together and heat shrink?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Any suggestions on how to fix this? Remove the switch, solder it back together and heat shrink?
That would be my suggestion exactly.
Has it been chewed by rodents or damaged by the side stand?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gotta be a way to bypass this switch. I dunno solution.

·
Administrator
3,237 Posts
That certainly looks like critter chew to me-

I would pull it and repair the wires on your switch. You should be able to match up the wires, other than the pain to get under there and remove the switch so you can get to the wire damage it should be a pretty easy repair.

Here is what I have for maybe some help on the wires. Remember it is for the older air-cooled models.

Side Stand Switch bypass:

08 T100 the side stand switch connector is behind the left side cover with three wires, a brown, green, and a black wire from the switch. It plugs into a two-wire, black with red tracer and a black wire in the connector to the main harness. To bypass the side stand switch jump across or connect together the black wire and the black wire with the red tracer of the two-wire connector.

·
Registered
31 Posts
good info, i will look into this on my 2015 thruxton. thanks

·
Administrator
3,237 Posts
Wish he was still around. I have pages of great info. from him I saved. He was a really good contributor and really knew his stuff and readily shared it.

Reactions: Bobber101
1 - 7 of 7 Posts