Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I put the bike up on the jack to clean and relube the sidestand pivot. The sidestand has been sort of sticky lately, not going up or down smoothly. While under the bike I pushed in the sidestand switch a couple of times just to see if it was functioning, and it appeared loose to me. The entire switch body moves around with light hand pressure. Is this normal? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I did the same to mine a couple of weeks ago. The sidestand was actually sticking in the down position. Cleaned up and greased, it still isn't great, but at least it flicks up more easily now.

I don't recall the sidestand switch being loose, though. I operated it once or twice just to check it and it seemed firmly mounted. I'd have to go back and check (at work at the moment) but I think if it had been as loose as you say I would have noticed. It doesn't sound right.

·
30,693 Posts
Switch should certainly not be loose - definitely get that tightened up.

And this reminds me I need to regrease the pivot on my side stand. Job for the rainy day tomorrow!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Prop, It looks like the left header needs to be removed to tighten them. I was able to weasel an allen wrench in there and give both bolts a quarter turn or so. I have a set of predators on the way, should be here in the next couple of days, I'll remove the header before install and torque them down properly. Then it's time to try out the TuneECU program:) I can't wait.

·
30,693 Posts
I found I was able to get at the screws and actually remove them (I took my switch off) by using an allen driver bit, and an open ended wrench. That way the header could stay in place. Fiddly though.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got them tight with a T30 bit and needlenose vice grips. That was way harder than it should have been. If I ever have unfettered access to that area I think I'll replace those crazy screws with bolts and locknuts. Thanks for all the help. Beautiful hot weather here today, going for a ride.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Dammit All to Heck. I should have taken an afternoon ride, but noooo. I had to read this thread then examine my sidestand switch too. Mine is loose. How? I'll never know. I've not messed with anything down there.

It looks like I got some fixin' to do.... :-(

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Sheesh guys the darn sidestand switches have been working their way loose since about 2001. They have always been a PITA to tighten, and I pretty sure they have always been Torx fasteners. It isn't anything new
Phil

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Sheesh guys the darn sidestand switches have been working their way loose since about 2001. They have always been a PITA to tighten, and I pretty sure they have always been Torx fasteners. It isn't anything new
Phil
Please forgive me, fullplat! I must have missed your response to my 'welcome' post about 18 mos ago where you warned me to watch out for the 'dreaded loosening sidestand switch'....my bad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been stranded on the side of the road by a bad Suzuki and a bad BMW sidestand switch. I take them off now and remember to put my sidestand up.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I've been stranded on the side of the road by a bad Suzuki and a bad BMW sidestand switch. I take them off now and remember to put my sidestand up.
I always take them off and bridge the wires is the switch goes faulty, but in fact your solution makes more sense.

Take them off before they fail, because they will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts