Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain Triumph's design intent with the side to side movement in the hard luggage? I did a search and found only a few passing comments on it. Should I fashion a rubber wedge and insert it into the notch to stop the movement? I feel like it keeps the bike from feeling really planted on the road. I prefer to ride without the luggage, but need the space for daily commuting.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Think it's supposed to help with cornering, and wind resistance. :-D

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The bags are left to hang plumb with the ground in turns, so the ice chest (or beverage) you've stowed inside doesn't slosh :razz:

·
Registered
354 Posts
On 2006-12-06 21:25, Trip wrote:
Can anyone explain Triumph's design intent with the side to side movement in the hard luggage? I did a search and found only a few passing comments on it. Should I fashion a rubber wedge and insert it into the notch to stop the movement? I feel like it keeps the bike from feeling really planted on the road. I prefer to ride without the luggage, but need the space for daily commuting.
Mine feels fine, and yes it's designed to move like that as if a rider is leaning with you in the corners, great idea if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Trip,
I wouldn't mess with it at all. As SoCalSprint says, great design. Think about it. If it were less flexible, there may be problems. Had a great three day trip with many highway segments at 90 to 100+ with no problems. The book says not to ride over 80 or 85 with the bags on and to be honest, that might be a good idea. But if you need that burst of speed to avoid trouble, the flexible bags work just fine.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine seemed to stay on fine at an indicated 149.9 MPH. Obviously I'd have gone another .1 if I'd noticed the speed. Had another 500 rpm left before the red line.

·
Registered
659 Posts
They are designed to move side to side and are excellent if the weight of each one is not perfectly balanced. i have the top box as well which also 'floats' side to side... the feeling was odd at first but the bike handles well at twice the suggested 80mph max speed in the handbook.
I recently toured germany at flat out speeds on the autobahns and 4 decent laps of the nurburgring, the luggage was excellent compared to friends fixed sytem on his tiger, his bike had a terrible weave at 90+ mph when hit by side winds.... my st didnt and just howled passed faultlessly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts