Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out on my 71 Bonnie today I saw a guy at the gas station with a 2002 Bonnie, was trying to sort out what appears to be an issue with side stand switch. Bike would start , pull the clutch in, put in gear and stall. He had unplugged the switch but bike still doing the same. Any help much appreciated ?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Tell him to hotwire the plug, then order a new switch. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was the guy with the side stand switch problem & would like to thank Kiwi al and all others for their help last weekend.
However, what got me back on the road involved simply flushing out the switch with a WD40 type product.
gave it a better clean back at home and it seems good as new.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
Could have been the plunger part. Worth cleaning out regularly by removing the rubber bellows protector, cleaning and working in and out until it moves smoothly, grease with some silicone grease and replacing bellows.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the photo furnished by Fachetto, where is the side stand connector located? is that under the seat, on the right or left side or where?

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
In the photo furnished by Fachetto, where is the side stand connector located? is that under the seat, on the right or left side or where?
There's an air filter in the photo. That should give you a hint. :wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, needs to unplug and then short out the two outer terminals of the 3-pin connector with a piece of wire or paperclip, the black and brown wires:

Hello!

I saw your post about bypassing the side stand switch. Hoping you can help me out with mine. My connectors are a little different on a '17 Street Scrambler. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is cut the cable after the connector and splice the wires together...However, which wires do I combine?? I have a pink, blue and black cable. See images below. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
Hello!

I saw your post about bypassing the side stand switch. Hoping you can help me out with mine. My connectors are a little different on a '17 Street Scrambler. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is cut the cable after the connector and splice the wires together...However, which wires do I combine?? I have a pink, blue and black cable. See images below. Thanks in advance!!

A 2017 Street Scrambler is one of the newer water-cooled models, isn't it?. Not familiar with those and don't have any data on them.

Assuming the system works like on our air-cooled models, you'll need to find which two wires form a closed circuit when the stand is in its folded, normal running position.

With the switch connector unplugged from the harness, use a multimeter or continuity tester and operate the switch and see which two wires show a closed or short circuit (less than 0.3 Ohms or so) when in the running position, opening the circuit when stand is down.

Try shorting out those two wires in the part of the connector that goes to the wiring loom, bridge them temporarily and see that the engine starts and runs even when a gear is engaged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A 2017 Street Scrambler is one of the newer water-cooled models, isn't it?. Not familiar with those and don't have any data on them.

Assuming the system works like on our air-cooled models, you'll need to find which two wires form a closed circuit when the stand is in its folded, normal running position.

With the switch connector unplugged from the harness, use a multimeter or continuity tester and operate the switch and see which two wires show a closed or short circuit (less than 0.3 Ohms or so) when in the running position, opening the circuit when stand is down.

Try shorting out those two wires in the part of the connector that goes to the wiring loom, bridge them temporarily and see that the engine starts and runs even when a gear is engaged.
The cable is pretty mangled at this point and I dont think I can reliably test it. However, I was able to get the attached wiring diagram...I just cant quite figure it out! Hopefully, you understand this and can zoom in so its visible.

It looks like the pink & and blue wire run to the ECM. The pink wire looks like it ties in with the tip over sensor, fuel level sender and gear position sensor. The blue wire seems to run directly to the ECM. Black I have no idea as it goes all over the place...I think its power??

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
The cable is pretty mangled at this point and I dont think I can reliably test it. However, I was able to get the attached wiring diagram...I just cant quite figure it out! Hopefully, you understand this and can zoom in so its visible.

It looks like the pink & and blue wire run to the ECM. The pink wire looks like it ties in with the tip over sensor, fuel level sender and gear position sensor. The blue wire seems to run directly to the ECM. Black I have no idea as it goes all over the place...I think its power??
I imagine it's the same as the one on the Thruxton which is a proximity type sensor operated with a magnet on the side stand which is why it has three wires, the pink and black are your +12v and 0v, the black/red wire going back to the ecm will be the switch wire, you will need to link this to +12 volts or 0 volts depending on the side stand position, I'm not sure which way round it works you'll have to do it by trial and error.
If you are able to start the bike then put it into gear with the black/red wire linked to + 12 or 0 volts, whichever way prevents the engine cutting out is correct for side stand up.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
I imagine it's the same as the one on the Thruxton which is a proximity type sensor operated with a magnet on the side stand which is why it has three wires, the pink and black are your +12v and 0v, the black/red wire going back to the ecm will be the switch wire, you will need to link this to +12 volts or 0 volts depending on the side stand position, I'm not sure which way round it works you'll have to do it by trial and error.
If you are able to start the bike then put it into gear with the black/red wire linked to + 12 or 0 volts, whichever way prevents the engine cutting out is correct for side stand up.

OF COURSE!!! thank you.

Now I remember discussing this when I had a little interest in the intricacies of the water-cooled jobs. Gone off them now though:)

The "switch" looks like an Asahi Denso CE122 proximity sensor, a similar if not the same one, is used on a KTM Duke 690.

I think it's a Hall-effect device and will need a bit more work than just a wire bridge to disable, if only in an emergency. A resistor or two to provide a suitable voltage signal to the ECU are needed. Details of home-made disabling and resistor value can be found by doing a search for something like "KTM Duke 690 kickstand disabling".

It can be seen here on its manufacturers page:

http://en.ad-asahidenso.co.jp/technology/sensing-technologies/case-of-products/

Here's a plug and play device for disabling on a KTM:

http://deelipmenezes.com/side-stand-sensor-bypass-device-for-ktm-duke

And another two:

https://slavensracing.com/shop/sidestand-switch-bypass-removal-kit-ktm-690-950-990/

https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=61011046000&Category_Code=

Video on disabling it:

Chances are the same device can be used on the Triumphs. Someone must have discussed this already in the appropiate water-cooled forum, I'd have thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts