Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking on and off about a sidecar for some time. Then, at the Triumphs in Taos rally, there were not one but TWO side car equipped Triumph classic twins! One was a scrambler identical to mine except for the color (I'll post pics later this week.)

So that's really got the wheels turning (so to speak...)

Anyway, I know virtually nothing about sidecars. I have noticed that some of the dedicated sidecar rigs have a different kind of fork arrangement with an oddly shaped fork. The T-100 with the sidecar had the fork tubes placed ahead of the triple clamp (vs underneath it as normal) and apparently this aids handling with the sidecar?

From talking to the sidecar riders, there is a fair amount of fabrication involved in any side hack setup, so I assume this will be a "project."

Can anyone here point me to a FAQ or a web site or something else that can help get me started? I pretty much need to know everything from "which sidecar to get" to "how do I modify my bike to work better with a sidecar" to "how is riding a bike with a sidecar different from riding a regular motorcycle."

Thanks in advance!

BTW, just a heads up, I will probably be selling off some of my Scrambler gear to fund my sidecar obsession. Gear will include a Renntec Rack, a Metal Mule Pannier rack set (rare!), two spare fenders (mudguards) and a dented gas tank. Anyone interested can PM me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having owned a sidecar rig many years ago I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions. Firstly, a sidecar rig isn't truly a motorcycle. It doesn't ride/drive like a bike at all, the physics are completely different. Secondly, there is quite a lot of setup that goes into a properly installed sidecar. The rake, trail, and camber needs to be specifically addressed.

I would suggest you check out Perry's Motorcycles & Sidecars in Fort Worth, TX. Perry is one of the best in the business and can answer any of your questions. Perrysmotorcycles.com

If you do decide to go ahead with the project expect to pay some significant bucks, probably in the neighborhood of $5K, to really do it right. It's usually less expensive to find a rig that has already been set up and buy that. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've been thinking about a sidecar as well - a few years back I had a ural and we really enjoyed it.

since getting rid of it my SO has come down with some serious balance issues which prevents her from riding with me anymore. a sidecar would get her back to riding with me

besides the obvious $$, I really don't have garage space at the moment. they take up a LOT of room!!! ;-)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
besides the obvious $$, I really don't have garage space at the moment. they take up a LOT of room!!! ;-)
Yeah, that's a big concern for me, too. We have a two car garage and a total of 4 cars and a motorcycle. If I was to get a side hack, both my SUV and my beater DD would have to park outside, even in Winter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My rig is 62 in wide overall. It will fit nicely in one side of a dbl garage and happily share it with another bike as well as some storage. A man has to get his priorities straight. The beater on the street and a sidecar rig in it's place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts