Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here order side covers from mototrio?
They look pretty cool, if so please post pics.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I inquired, but they only have them in gloss black. I wanted graphite. They do look good.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I inquired, but they only have them in gloss black. I wanted graphite. They do look good.
I just received a pair for my ST in matte black. I also asked them to paint the screens black as well. The folks at Mototrio were very responsive and sent the order out in a couple of days. I think these look a lot better without the Street Twin billboard that is clear coated on the stock side panels.

Two drawbacks: these are pretty heavy. Each stock side panel weighs a tad over 8 ounces. Each of these weighs 22 ounces, so you are adding a fair amount to the bike. The connector pins are a bit thicker but still fit ok - it will be a bit more hassle to pop these off to get to the rear brake fluid reservoir. There is no attachment for the shock adjustment tool. No big deal there.

Images attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steve11201 Those look badass!, thank you for sharing pics and info about the weight.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I ended up doing my own covers, I knew I had the mototrio option if things went south.
Really nice job on those, and the bike looks great. How are you painting these (and the headlight and speedo enclosures?) I'd like to do the same but I'm limited to rattlecans in the stairwell after the neighbors are asleep.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Really nice job on those, and the bike looks great. How are you painting these (and the headlight and speedo enclosures?) I'd like to do the same but I'm limited to rattlecans in the stairwell after the neighbors are asleep.
I sprayed mine, first with a primer and then with a satin black.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That is all I did with the trim ring and speedo bezel, I Lightly sanded with 600 or 800 wet/dry sandpaper and painted them with Rustolium Satin black... I tried flat paint but it didn't match the light housing too well, I tried a "matte car stripe paint" and it looked grey.
... Covering all the little round indicators on the bezel with tape is a test of patients... I found no easy way of doing them.
The good thing about rattle can paint is, it is easy to clean off with Mineral spirits if things don't go so well.

The side panels I painted with a 3 part "Hot rod black" automotive paint... It came out a little too shiny, So I let the side covers cure for a couple days and I "carefully" wet sanded the side covers with a 1200 grit to knock the shine down, Ended up matching pretty well.

Reactions: steve11201

·
Registered
91 Posts
any chance you could post pics of the bike with side covers off? curious what it looks like in there

·
Registered
692 Posts
any chance you could post pics of the bike with side covers off? curious what it looks like in there
One side has the intake and the other side is wire harness... they pop off in seconds at 3 points, top left and right and center bottom, No tools needed, just a solid tug at each point.

·
Registered
91 Posts
interested to see the intake up close

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: Delta

·
Registered
91 Posts
any chance we could see a pic of the other side as well? interesting that the airbox comes all the way to the other side with that snorkel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Reactions: Delta

·
Registered
91 Posts
wow they really hid the airbox deep in that wire mess. looks like half the stuff in there might be mounted to it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts