Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i have a 2008 bonneville t100 green/white. while looking at the triumph website i was browsing the create your own bike area. on that area the t100 has color matching side covers. does anyone know if you can purchase green side covers? the reason i ask is that i have added the thruxton gel seat with a seat cowl. i had the cowl painted to match my bike. the black covers that came with the bike look a little odd now. i was going to have the custom painted, but if ones are available i will want to price the two to see which would be cheaper. thanks, keith

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I hate that Triumph does this. This is the one thing that really bugs me. No matter what color Bonneville you buy you end up with black side covers then you can buy color matched covers only if you have a black, red, cream or yellow bike..... ummmmm huh.

I would just order up new stickers from Triumph or take your side cover to a graphics/sign shop and get them to print off vinyl replacements for you then get your side covers repainted. It will be cheaper then the replacement side covers that you can't get in that beautiful green from Triumph.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I hate that Triumph does this. This is the one thing that really bugs me. No matter what color Bonneville you buy you end up with blakc side covers...
I have to agree, as it bugged me too. When I bought an '06 T100, the choice was either a creamsicle w/ non-matching (black) side covers, or a black and red w/ matching (black) side covers. I really didn't like the fact that the creamsicle didn't have matching side covers and for that reason I opted for the black and red.

If you don't want to redo your side covers green, maybe you could add more black to your bike to match the side covers? Black tank pads, fork gaiters, cam cover, exhaust headers, etc. are a few things that might help the black side covers from looking so out of place.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the replies. looks like i'll just go the painted route. i just thought i would check if they were available before i took the covers in to be painted. got a good paint shop around my house. already did my seat cowl. even put the sixtyeight logo back on. just another question. since i won't have bonneville logo on the covers afterward, which ones should i get. am i right that the new bonnevilles are styled closely to the '71 model? if so should i go with that period logo? i was thinking one in gold would be sweet! -keith

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Bella Corse and New Bonneville both sell the decals you could use in gold. Look on their websites to see what you like. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm looking at going to black sidecovers on my blue Thruxton. Most of the older Triumphs had black oil tanks and battery covers and I like that look! (Anybody have some they want to sell?)

Depending on what I can get 'cheap' I may need to repaint them black and apply the Thruxton graphics either OEM, or... have custom die-cut vinyl ones made. Then, just clear-coat over the vinyl. Cost is very reasonable.

I know this is a creative group and wanted to see some of the vinyl graphics and fonts you have used.

I was playing around on CorelDraw this evening and came up with a few designs with a few different fonts. The vinyl would be silver metallic on a black side cover. Check out some ideas below (some are jokes) and comments are welcome:

Cheers!
BLIGHT

·
Registered
639 Posts
Blight, the bottom left logo is terrific in my opinion.
I kinda like that one too. BTW, I found a shop that will make your custom bike graphics in die-cut vinyl for $13.50 each including shipping...not too bad.

If anyone's interested I can put their name up after I receive the order and it is satisfactory. I went ahead and ordered a pair of the more OEM looking graphic (left side 4th down) to see how they look.

900 CR for 'C'afe 'R'acer!

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't limit yourself to fonts. An experienced graphic artist can create or recreate interesting things for you.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Oops, to late but no harm done. Blight, $13.50 each including shipping sounds fair enough.
Hi Doogin...thanks, but personally I don't want any fancy pictures or artwork on my side covers. My brother is a professional graphic artist, and a very good one. (I could always tap his talents, but not for this little project)

I just want the 'traditional' and conservative look of text on the side covers, and thought it might be fun to maybe look at considering a different font.

After several minutes of deep thought, I went ahead and sent the artwork in for the the original style font in silver vinyl. I'll put them on 'traditional' black side-covers and see how it looks after clear-coating them, wet-sanding and buffing.

I want an OEM appearance, but with just a little custom 'tweak' i.e. "900 CR" They said the vinyl is .002" about the thinnest you can buy, and perfect for clear-coating.

I placed the order online, and should have the graphics in about a week. Now I just need some donor side covers! I guess Winter is good for something... like doing little projects like these, eh? I'll post up some pictures when they're done.

Cheers,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those are great looking saddlebags. Where are they from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
The stickers I had made a few years ago have held up quite well.[at least the one I have left in use] They are a metalized vinyl,in a gold leaf pattern.No dulling or lifted edges at all.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
My avatar came from a desire to change my side covers. I love the vintage look of the pin ups etc.

I have about 6 side cover designs I have made but am yet to pull the trigger on any.

Blight - I love the Thruxton tag on top row right and third row left.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the wonder of computer graphics ...

hi all. i have a 2008 bonneville t100 green/white. while looking at the triumph website i was browsing the create your own bike area on that area the t100 has color matching side covers.

Kieth: I think there was a mistake made by whoever was doing the graphics made on the create-your-own website page(s) (whose task it was to get certain colors to change), because other pics of the green and white on the official website show the black side cover.

I had looked at the create your own site yesterday and was looking at the chromed side cover as an option but liked the green better. Noticed the black side covers yesterday when I saw a real Green and White T-100 at the lot for the first time. As the new owner of same (waiting to pick up the bike after NH togas and a few other mods are made), I'm ok with the the black covers.

:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts