Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Peoples,

Quick question for my 1971 t120R,

Could anyone please confirm the two lugs on the front forks down-tube, near where the frame number is, is infact a side car attachment point?? If so, is the other attachment area underneath the tank???

I need to make sure i dont grind off something that i might need later on hehehehehe.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Reference is made to Triumph Factory Workshop Manual
part #99-0883 This manaul coves Unit Construction 650cc T120 and TR6 from Engine #DU66246(includes earlier models from DU101).
In the Frame Section E18 (Chapter E page E18) the is an
showing faring attachment lugs. It states "From engine number DU.24875 fairing attachment lugs are incorporated in the steering head assembly to simplify the fitting of fairings. These are shown in Figs. E1and E18." (There are two drawings in the manual)
All the above is because I assume the two lugs you refer to are the ones located horizontalyy on the steering head ,directly behind he headlamp shell, between the steering races. There are no lugs (as such) on either of the duplex frame tubes, that I am aware of, as you describe.
the faring mount lugs I refer to were on these frames from 1966 to 1971.
There are no factory sidcar mounting lugs on OIF models. In fact I believe the owners manual may have stated sidecar use was not reccomended for OIF bikes. I dont think OIF frames are as strong as the earlier ones and might not be able to handle the side loads from a heavy chair. (just as a note I have seen many OIF with side cars.)
If you desire further info on side car mounting points for a 71 give us a holler minimum of 3 points 4 preferred.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
v.taco says he has a 71....now, I'm always leery of these first year dates because of overlap....the model year starting in Sept. of any given year. This may be a 70 model first SOLD in 71. So the question......does the frame have oil in the backbone and two front downtubes? Then it's a 71-on. Or oil in a tank and one front downtube? Then it's a 68-70. I suppose someone could have welded two tubes on an oif frame as the pre-oif frame, to mount a fairing.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'll be......I just went out to the boneyard and looked at my frame pile........I have several OIFs and the tall framed 71 does INDEED have the tubes welded on. The low framed 750s don't have them. Ya learn something new every day. Cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts